PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Hollow Form

joe greiner
28th February 2010, 11:13 PM
Hickory nut, about 1-1/8" (28mm) diameter, 1-1/16" (27mm) high, foot ring for stability. Unfinished.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Cheers,
Joe

hughie
28th February 2010, 11:29 PM
]Hickory nut, about 1-1/8" (28mm) diameter, 1-1/16" (27mm) high, foot ring for stability. Unfinished.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Joe, You have too much time on your hands :U what are you going to finish it with?

joe greiner
28th February 2010, 11:50 PM
Hughie, if you got a good look at my hands, you'd be convinced they have too much time on them. I'm almost ready for a skin transplant. Yard work is good exercise, but it can be brutal.

I suppose I could spray it with some polyurethane varnish. It's probably too late for EEE, unless I can re-mount it.

Cheers,
Joe

Ed Reiss
1st March 2010, 04:44 AM
OK Joe...did you have to fight the squirrel for it :? lol

gettin' in to doing miniatures now? ...good work :2tsup:

TTIT
1st March 2010, 09:02 AM
Good one Joe :2tsup: - looks like a challenge to see what can be done with a Macadamia - at least the hollowing would be easy :shrug:

artme
1st March 2010, 10:51 AM
Interesting Joe. Something a bit different for a change.

joe greiner
1st March 2010, 08:38 PM
OK Joe...did you have to fight the squirrel for it :? lol

gettin' in to doing miniatures now? ...good work :2tsup:
The squirrels scoot whenever I get close to them; sometimes, opening a back door is enough.

It's mostly therapeutic, a different kind of challenge, while I wrestle with how to do some bigger stuff on my bucket list.

Cheers,
Joe

hughie
2nd March 2010, 08:51 AM
I take it your gonna sand the inside, dunno if my inertia sander is small enuff. :U

joe greiner
2nd March 2010, 09:22 PM
I take it your gonna sand the inside, dunno if my inertia sander is small enuff. :U
Dream on. I gave it three coats of clear satin polyurethane, used a piece of tissue paper for a diffuser on the flash. Tried no diffuser, and also 1 or 2 layers of waxed paper. The tissue paper seemed to work best.

Cheers,
Joe

chambezio
2nd March 2010, 10:06 PM
Joe
Can you give us a botany lesson?
We have Pecan Nuts grown here which were of course imported from your neck of the woods. Now I thought they were the nut from a Hickory Tree.
But those nuts you have photographed are nothing like our "Pecan Nuts"
"Please explain" ( Quote from famous Australian Politician)

Just as a footnote: When Strahman Farms planted out the first Pecan Plantation at Moree NSW on the rich blacksoil they expected to start harvesting in something like 12 years(I think was the figure) but the soil being so good they were able to harvest in 8 years ( Just a bit of trivia)

Gil Jones
3rd March 2010, 04:43 AM
Hey, Joe,
That is a good one!!
Are you going to show it at the club meeting tonight?
Gil

joe greiner
4th March 2010, 12:00 AM
By now, you know I did, Gil.

chambezio, I'm not a botanist, and I don't even play one on television. In fact, I never studied biology in high school. I think, though, that Hickory and Pecan are merely cousins, not sisters. The only evidence I have that this is a hickory nut, is that it fell from a tree that a neighbor identified as hickory. And to make matters worse, the distinction between nuts and seeds seems to be soft, depending on species.

Our English Walnuts and Black Walnuts are vastly different from each other. This stuff can drive you nuts.

Cheers,
Joe

chambezio
4th March 2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks Joe I appreciate the time you took to reply

There is so many facts to find and learn about things that are around us.
It keeps ones mind active. With that Hickory tree near by and you with your lathe and skills... The need to ever buy a tool handle is null and void

Is your season on the turn to warmer weather? We are having (thankfully) some beautiful days now. The tempeatures are warm to hot with cool nights. Best time of the year :2tsup:

joe greiner
4th March 2010, 10:40 PM
Weather here (in "sunny" Florida) has been one of the longest cold spells ever. Forecast for Thursday (we're ~14 hours behind you) is 32F (0C) low, and 60F (16C) high. Not yet warm enough for skinny-dipping - that's a couple months away.

Cheers,
Joe