PDA

View Full Version : Camphor laurel help

bowl-basher
1st March 2010, 02:20 PM
Hi all :((:((
I am desperatly trying to find a bit of camphor laurel to make a large candle holder to match an existing one. I am looking for a spindle blank 150 x 150 x 300 long. I have plenty of bowl blanks but nothing long enugh to get this size long grain. I would like a bit of colour but will take anything I can get so long as it is dry. Happy tp pay a fair price
Thanks for the help
Bowl Basher

DoctorBobski
1st March 2010, 05:57 PM
Mark Williams is always at the Brisbane wood shows with a heap of Camphor of all shapes and sizes. Good prices too. I'll PM you his number.

Avery
1st March 2010, 08:15 PM
I have a piece that is about 100 x 100 x 220 that is well coloured and dry.

I know where I can get some larger pieces , but I will not have access until wednesday afternoon to confirm the sizes. It has all been in storage for about 20years.

If you can wait and I can find a piece to suit, I will gladly swap for an equivalent in bowl blanks or slabs.

bowl-basher
2nd March 2010, 07:33 AM
Avery
Thanks that looks great .. The min size I need is 150 x 150 x300 I have a nice blackwod bowl blank that I think you would like will let you know the size this evening as I am at work at the moment
Thanks again
Bowl -Basher

Ed Reiss
2nd March 2010, 01:25 PM
Avery
Thanks that looks great .. The min size I need is 150 x 150 x300 I have a nice blackwod bowl blank that I think you would like will let you know the size this evening as I am at work at the moment
Thanks again
Bowl -Basher

kinda' gets in the way of more pleasurable pursuits...like, ahhhhhh, turning for instance :doh:

bowl-basher
2nd March 2010, 01:30 PM
kinda' gets in the way of more pleasurable pursuits...like, ahhhhhh, turning for instance :doh:

you aint whistling dixie:((:((:((:((

Avery
2nd March 2010, 05:43 PM
BAD NEWS

I may have mislead you.

I picked up the piece of tree in the photos this morning. I had been told that it was camphor laurel, I was going to slice an appropriately sized piece out of it for you. The problem is, I don't think its camphor. My experience is that touching camphor laurel with a sharp thing causes amazing aromas - not from this. Nothing at all.

Perhaps someone can help to ID it, but I don't think it is camphor laurel.

I will go back to my little storehouse of bits of tree tomorrow and see if I can find something suitable

munruben
2nd March 2010, 05:56 PM
. My experience is that touching camphor laurel with a sharp thing causes amazing aromas - not from this. Nothing at all. Yep, Camphor Laurel has an aroma all of its own. :)

wheelinround
2nd March 2010, 06:00 PM
cut it not always if its old it might be very very dry oil will be internal

bowl-basher
2nd March 2010, 09:11 PM
Avery
thanks so much for all your help:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
that bit looks like cyprus pine I agree that it is not camphor

And thanks weeling I will contact you tomorow, you dont have to rub it in about bieng at WORK in fact The boss was told today that I will retire on the 7th of May havent worked out how many days that is but it is tomany
thanks Bowl-Basher

wheelinround
2nd March 2010, 09:21 PM
Avery
thanks so much for all your help:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
that bit looks like cyprus pine I agree that it is not camphor

And thanks weeling I will contact you tomorow, you dont have to rub it in about bieng at WORK in fact The boss was told today that I will retire on the 7th of May havent worked out how many days that is but it is tomany
thanks Bowl-Basher

Hum :rolleyes: best charge the phone up 7th May so we will see you at OTGA 12th May :U

Avery
3rd March 2010, 04:29 PM
This piece is definitely CL - I can smell it from here.

It is 330 long but it does not come up to 150mm at the narrow end. have a look at my measurements and see if it is any good to you.

It is the best I could find.

wheelinround
3rd March 2010, 05:00 PM
I'll show you mine if you show me yours :no:

Bowlbasher good to talk today here is the bit that Darrell cut for you 145x145x300and a bit.

Yes its been sprayed with water to show the colour hope it suits.

Ray

stevew
3rd March 2010, 05:08 PM
This might help you out.
Is 320mm Long
5 1/2 inches diameter.
I prepared it about 3 years ago and is very dry .
I cut a sliver off the end to show the inner end grain.
Cheers
Steve

Avery
3rd March 2010, 05:09 PM
OOhh! Nice colour.

bowl-basher
3rd March 2010, 09:05 PM
I'll show you mine if you show me yours :no:

Bowlbasher good to talk today here is the bit that Darrell cut for you 145x145x300and a bit.

Yes its been sprayed with water to show the colour hope it suits.

Ray
Wheelin if you wernt so dammed ugley I would kiss you:oo::oo:
That will be perfect I will send you a PM later
To all the other offers thank you it shows just what this forum is about the way people rally to help is just incredible :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
thanks all
Bowl basher

Sawdust Maker
3rd March 2010, 09:40 PM
Sorry

I just spotted this thread
I was going to say I could have a look in my woodpile on the weekend if you could wait that long
bur I see you're all fixed up

good on ya Ray

PS not too sure I would have had a piece that size anyway

Avery
3rd March 2010, 10:03 PM
Good luck Bowl-basher, hope it works for you.

I'll keep this piece in reserve for a few days just in case that really big dig in happens.
Of course the price will have gone up by then.

Just kidding folks!

wheelinround
4th March 2010, 08:02 AM
Wheelin if you wernt so dammed ugley I would kiss you:oo::oo:
That will be perfect I will send you a PM later
To all the other offers thank you it shows just what this forum is about the way people rally to help is just incredible :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
thanks all
Bowl basher

A :shake: will do ................then again you do have a nice new Cougar lathe :rolleyes:

As for the ugly :q