PDA

View Full Version : Re-useable timber?

gemi_babe
9th September 2004, 12:35 AM
Have been thinking about this next project for some time now.

I knocked down the old washroom out the back and can reuse the studs for something.

Instead of buying new timber for my verandah I was thinking of using the studs.

The studs are 100mm x 100mm. Are they suitable for the posts that go in the ground. Jeez guys I'm sorry I don't even know what you call them. Bearers joists stumps. what is the name for it?:o
Don't worry, I wont be attempting this project myself as I have no idea LOL

thought asking here would save me time, money and to be in the know when the contractor comes to quote me.

Wouldn't want to be conned into buying timber that I already have.

vsquizz
9th September 2004, 12:41 AM
Where they in the ground before Gemi?

The contractor may be concerned about nails immbedded in the timber. Is it jarrah?

Cheers

gemi_babe
9th September 2004, 01:16 AM
yeah they were in the ground before. About a foot deep. going back to 1920's here. Will cut the yucky bit off before use.

Am in the process now of removing all the nails.

PS... the bb is loading fine at the mo.

vsquizz
9th September 2004, 01:33 AM
Yep, what I was getting at is termi... sorry white ants and rot. Apart from that and the nails they should re-use them. If they are structurally sound there is no reason not to.

I'd suggest that Greenbushes is not exactly flush with chippies but if they wont use them then tell them to go have some sex and travel.

A coat of pink primer and a topcoat wouldn't hurt if painting is an option. Otherwise you can, for the section thats going in the ground, use the time honoured method of sump oil and diesel (50/50 all available at the local garage) or even Linseed and diesel (50/50). Just paint on a couple of coats. The diesel helps the timber take in the oils and assists in keeping the little white beggers away. It also tends to help the timber burn so its only for the bit in the ground:D.

Re-use, Recycle, good thinking Gemi. Otherwise just PM me and I'll bring the trailer out and takem away for free:D .

Cheers

gemi_babe
9th September 2004, 01:41 AM
Cool thanks.

So what do you call the posts that go in the ground for decking?

Knowing my luck u call them posts LOL

Thanks for the tip on the oil. Have seen a few places in Bridgetown with half black jarrah stumps and wondered what it was.

vsquizz
9th September 2004, 02:07 AM
I call em just plain old stumps when they just come up to the floor level, as in "re-stumping a house" but I think you would be right when they continue on up the wall as a "post" but hey, as long as you know what your talking about and can make somebody else understand, your laughing. With proper building terminology I often refer to some old book called....hang on...got them..here we go

"The good Building Guide" by Bob Ryan, he used to be on TV, can't remember what the show was called. Its very ES in some of its construction but has good basics.

"The Australian Roof Building Manual" by Lloyd Hiddle & Allan Staines

"The Australian Owner Builders Manual" by Allan Staines

These are a bit dated and may have been revised but there is a lot of useful things you pick up from them. Good cure for insomnia too. They should be freely available in librarys. Mick (Journeyman) would know some good refs too.

While I'm in the bookcase, my most dog eared is

"Earth Garden Building Book" by Robert Rich and Keith Smith, which is an alias for a couple of hippies who got sick of leaky TeePees and built their own houses. A great book.

I have more

Cheers

maglite
9th September 2004, 10:44 AM
Hi Gemi,

I am in the process of doing a reno and i wanted the chippie to use as mush of the existing timber as well.

Bloody good jarrah,he said that they have to use only "stamped" timber or they will be in breach of the building code.
Does anyone know wether this is correct or am i just having my leg pulled.

Creosote works as well as the oil/diesel mix.

Have a good day.
Cheers
Steve

jackiew
9th September 2004, 12:28 PM
went on an owner builder course at the weekend ( am currently alternating between enthusiasm for the task which awaits me and being apalled)

... one of the things that came up is that tradesmen are supposed to use all new materials ( this is to protect you from them using inferior materials that don't meet the australian standard for the particular job). If the carpenter is supplying the warranty on work ( job over $12000 in Victoria) then I guess its understandable that they might be a trifle reluctant to use anything they weren't sure of.

if your carpenter would otherwise supply the materials ( rather than you supplying them) then s/he will be expecting to make money on supplying them which may also result in a certain lack of enthusiasm for using your materials.

... however as people do build with recycled materials ( you've only got to read Owner Builder Magazine to realise that ) there has to be a way round it ..... apparently your building surveryor may approve use of recycled materials.

I wouldn't be taking no for an answer without a bit more investigation.

vsquizz
9th September 2004, 12:30 PM
Steve, according to some of the local gov acts this may be the case however I am sure there is away around this with timber inspections etc. Builders re-use existing timbers all the time (from the same building) when doing repairs or reno. If you where building a new structure you will have to check with the council and I believe there is a website for the builders assoc.

Cheers

Markw
9th September 2004, 12:34 PM
Hi Gemi,

Creosote works as well as the oil/diesel mix.

Don't use creosote even if you can buy it, which you shoudn't be able to. This stuff is a known carcinogen which is why the electricity industry started using the green CCA treated poles. But then they're just as bad and we may have to stop using them too. Take out shares in concrete poles??

gemi_babe
9th September 2004, 01:23 PM
Steve, whats the company your using, cause I wont ring them LOL