PDA

View Full Version : What's 'super' about the Super Over?

LiliB
1st March 2010, 07:51 PM
Hi sports fans,

I watched a tremendous game of competitive cricket between Aus and NZ last night. It had all the elements that go into making a great game: the game went from side to side in terms of advantage, there was bizarre (McCullum) and stylish(Clarkey) batting, there was clever bowling, and not so clever bowling. For a change, the game went down to the last ball, and was remarkably even in its ebb and flow.

Then the sides came out drawn on 214 runs each, and there had to be a 'tie breaker' to decide the result. Number of sixes were even, so we went to the 'super over'.

What an anti-climax!!! I've always thought the Rhubarb Pie method used in the one day matches was pretty inane - "take the number of blue eyed batsmen in your team, add your grandmother's age, multiply by the number of times Rain Lover won the Melbourne Cup and divide by any number you can think of", and that's the target.

However, irrespective of who won last night's match, it was an anti-climax, and didn't deserve to be decided by such a method.

What do ya reckon, those who watched it with me?

Cheers
LiliB
:no::no::no:

masoth
2nd March 2010, 11:41 PM
Unfortunately I didn't see the coverage, and didn't listen to a broadcast either because I forgot the game was being played. The "super over" was shown on the TV news and I think it's stupid - why is a split decision needed? Other cricket has the 'draw' and the 'tie', why not T20?

soth