PDA

View Full Version : Cherry interior

AlanS
9th September 2004, 04:25 AM
As a woodworker, I am being called to look at a beautiful sailboat with a fine Cherry interior. The owner wants some "ideas" in cleaning up the scuffed and worn areas, as well as help in deciding what to do about the floor.
SO, I ask of you all...
The interior "looks" as though it has a satin lacquer...is this common for a sailing vessel? I will test with thinner to see if it is , in fact lacquer. I would like to get a finish that is satin, allows for grain to show (not a thick, plastic look), and is sea-worthy. I will need to do some repairs. Will nitro-lacquer hold up to salt, etc.???
The floor is described to me as panels that can be unscrewed and lifted up. He wants to "seal" the bottoms to reduce moisture invasion into the ply flooring. What do you all recommend for this ? Do I need to duplicate the EXACT finish on the floor, or is it ok that it is sealed both sides with different products....Thanks from the USA....Alan

barnsey
9th September 2004, 04:02 PM
AlanS

I'm in the process of restoring a cruiser - 20' - Teak lined.
To my best knowlege the timber was finished in marine varnish - probably gloss back then coz there were not too many alternatives. Salt air and sea water is about as severe an environment as you could put anything in. Think about how your skin felt the last time you were out in it for the day :eek:

So it is with finishing timber for that environment. There are lots of claims but I would suggest talking to an old salt in your area and ask him. I would say stick with Marine grade finishes but those here may be different from those your end. And yes cover every face with the same attention to detail. Once the water gets in you've got problems.

MHO FWIW

Jamie

graemet
9th September 2004, 05:09 PM
Hi Alan,
If you want the finish to protect the timber from moisture as well as looking good, particularly on deck or cabin sole or bits that get scuffed, prime everything first with WEST epoxy, leave it at that for underneath panels or hidden bits, sand with 180 grit and varnish the bits that show if you want a nicer gloss. My trailer yacht has been sitting in the open for seven years, the varnish has peeled but the WEST is still intact.
Graeme