PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide WWW show returns

WVB
3rd March 2010, 12:59 PM
thankfully on 23-25 July 2010.
that's enough time to save up some coin.

coffenup
7th March 2010, 09:56 PM
yah can't wait:yippy::clap3::clap3::yippy:

Liz Falloon
17th March 2010, 02:30 PM
Heh Guys just wanted to let you know that the full presentation program of presenters as for all other shows will be coming with us to Adelaide. We have had a great response from exhibitors and the show is full steam ahead. The full list of all of the presentation will be on our web www.eee.net.au (http://www.eee.net.au) at the end of March.

Will also talk to Neil and see if we can put a special offer up for SA forum members as well.
More updates later
Liz Falloon - Timber & Working With Wood Show

Harry72
17th March 2010, 09:13 PM
Me too Coffenup:D

kiwigeo
28th March 2010, 11:55 PM
Wonder if local Jet agent will bother turning up for the show?

Tankstand
29th March 2010, 05:16 PM
It's been too long between drinks!:(

Wonder if local Jet agent will bother turning up for the show? Macwood?

kiwigeo
29th March 2010, 05:57 PM
Yeah Macwood. If they want to have any machinery on display at the show then theyd better get it ordered from China now :D

ubeaut
16th July 2010, 03:33 PM
Jet will most definitely be at the show by way of Macwood with all sorts of machines and other goodies.

Liz Falloon
16th July 2010, 04:30 PM
It's Friday- we leave for Adelaide Tuesday morning - the build of the show starts then. The phones haven't stopped ringing with inquiries for the show. Really happy to report we have had a number of clubs buying bulk tickets. All of the presenters are ready for their presentations over the weekend - so I reckon it should be a good show - with a number of new presenters that Adelaide haven't seen before. Now all we need is for you woodworkers in Adelaide to turn up. Look forward to seeing you at the show.
Regards Liz

ps Stan and Tim Skilton are doing an interview Tuesday morning on ABC at 10.30am if you are interested. Don't forget if you are a forum members there is a Members Lounge on site with complimentary tea, coffee and water. Liz

Sir Stinkalot
16th July 2010, 07:27 PM
Im so exited I am moving to Adelaide ..... unpack Friday ..... show on Saturday :2tsup:

Christos
23rd July 2010, 11:02 PM
Well any update on the lads that attended the Adelaide Wood Show or the Bridal show that was next door?

Tankstand
23rd July 2010, 11:36 PM
Had a great day,

Caught up with Harry72.

Watched Guilio Marcolongo's demonstrations! (Very clever, Learned much)

Bought a chuck from Jim Carrol and stocked up on supplies from our benevolent host.

Drooled a bit over the Tasmanian Timer stand!

It seems the local hardware chains have abandoned us, no Gasweld / Home Hardware / Makita or Triton displays? :no:

Going back Sunday to watch Theo's and others demonstrations.

Harry72
23rd July 2010, 11:46 PM
Update... through my own stupidity I copped a speeding fine on the way home :(

Sir Stinkalot
24th July 2010, 12:34 AM
My household goods hadn't arrived yet so I went today instead of tomorrow. From all that I had read about the Adelaide show I wasn't expecting much. All in all I was very impressed.

Having only the Melbourne (and perhaps Ballarat) show to base it on (Jeff's shed and Show Grounds) I would say it was very similar to the Melbourne Show Grounds show but on a slightly smaller scale (although that may not be a bad thing).

The space was good for the show, well spaced with plenty of room. It was welcomed the ability to get in and see everything, something which is harder in the larger shows.

The type of stalls was similar to Melbourne without Timbecon and a few of the larger manufactures (Makita and Hitachi etc) however for me that perhaps was not a huge loss as there were local suppliers based in Adelaide which I had not seen before in Melbourne.

I was pleased to meet forum member Whittling at the 'Waitpinga Whittling' stand. Unfortunately as we will be renting in Adelaide for a while until we get settled I do not have any space to set up machinery. I was thinking prior to the show that I might try my hand at whittling while I have the time. I had intended just to grab a knife from the show until I read about Waitpinga Whittling last night on the forums. It all came together at the show when I put two and two together and realised Whittling did the golf ball carvings which I had admired when I saw the post on here. In the end it works out even better than I would have hoped as I will be now attending a course run by Whittling and will be able to pick up some basics on whittling. I couldn't do that in Melbourne!

The demonstrations were good. Turing demos were well attended as always. I spent most of my time at Neil Scobie and picked up some useful tips from a craftsman who's work I have long admired. When I was sitting in the demonstration I actually thought how good value it was to be able to send a day listening to the tricks and techniques of somebody who produces such high quality work, worth the $13 entry in itself. Watching Neil today helped to build my confidence and general interest in woodworking which has been lacking lately. It was good to see demonstrated some of the basics and have those referenced directly back to some of the work seen in the magazines which made me think that it is not out of reach to produce that quality of work when you understand the basic joinery.

Positives:

Areas to have a sit and regroup.
Good feel to the space.
Different colour signs for the different demonstration areas showed attention to detail.
Good support from interstate woodwork stores, eg. Ubeaut, Carrolls and the others.
Managed to get a double shot flat white large for the same price as a single shot.
No line to get in (although this may not be such a good thing).

Areas which I feel could be improved upon:

In the past I have found that in the demonstration areas it is always a problem hearing the demonstrator. I spent quite a lot of time at Neil Scobie's demonstrations today and at times it was difficult to hear due to some of the nearby stands operating machinery. Perhaps the grouping of stands could be arranged so that non demonstrating (static) stands are near the demonstration areas (ie Australian Woodsmith magazine or timber stands etc). Another option would be to enclose the demonstration area more with partitions at the rear however this will impact on the visitors walking by and stopping when they see something of interest.
Signage - I arrived via Goodwood Road and don't recall seeing any signs in relation to the show. This seems to be a busy road and would be a good way to advertise the show. I am not sure if this is possible.
Woodwork Groups - From my brief reading over the past few weeks there seems to be some issue between the show and the local woodworking clubs. I don't want to get into it but I can't see why the local clubs wouldn't even at the very least have a table with a few flyers on. I can see the argument of targeting a home show for new members but surely there is some use in converting the converted. Not really a negative for the show but perhaps a missed opportunity for the local clubs.
This may sound strange but perhaps the show would do better if it was held every second year in smaller markets. To be honest most shows are very similar and new products in the woodwork world are few and far between. To help keep it fresh perhaps less shows may attract more people?

Having purchased most of my machinery and other small bits I think my focus on the shows has now changed from that of when I first started. Initially I liked to get in to look at the different bandsaws prior to purchase or the different orbital sanders. This would take up most of my day. Now I see the demonstrations being my draw card and they will keep me going back. Today I concentrated on Neil Scobie however I would have liked to have seen Liz Scobie's demonstrations and perhaps even some turning. Unfortunately I will not have the time to get back this weekend however at the the next show I think I will try and make it for two days to be able to still have a look around and then see more of the demonstrations. As I said earlier it is a good way to learn from the masters and for $13 it is more enjoyable than watching a film!

Just my view!

Cheers

Stinky.

Jim Carroll
24th July 2010, 09:49 AM
Well said Michael a very informative post.:2tsup:

Tankstand
24th July 2010, 10:03 AM
A very informative summary Stinky, great to read the opinions of an interstater!

I'm sorry I missed meeting you, we no doubt passed each other several times!

24th July 2010, 10:12 AM
Well spoken Sir Stinky...I too was with a group from a Northern regional areas that attended the show, and personally agree with your comments. Obviously Friday is a quiet day, but that suited us oldies to have a look around and purchase goods.Plenty of open areas for both the stall holders and the general public seemed to fit nicely....all in all, from twenty odd people it was well worth the effort......Regards.......AL

Harry72
24th July 2010, 08:52 PM
A very informative summary Stinky, great to read the opinions of an interstater!

I'm sorry I missed meeting you, we no doubt passed each other several times!

Yep its a wonder he didnt spot the forum cap and shirt:wink:

Tisorp
24th July 2010, 11:45 PM
I attended the T&WWW Show today (Saturday).
As anticipated I found the retail stands interesting and used the opportunity to purchase a few small items. The Macwood stand was very comprehensive. They seemed to have transported most of the store to the show.

Of particular interest were the displays of woodworking techniques ( in some ways similar to watching someone play the violin in that it looks quite easy but you know it really isnīt). For an amateur, self taught woodworker this opportunity to talk to the experts and get up close to watch them at work is a great privilege and one worth every cent of the admission fee.
The chance discussion of a couple of finishing issues with Neil was also very much appreciated.

I assume that the majority of the exhibitors do not cover their costs when presenting in small cities such as Adelaide but I can assure them that notice is taken of those who support we woodworkers (and would-be woodworkers) and that will be of relevance when making purchasing decisions in the future.

There is still another day to go and I urge all Adelaide based forumites to attend.

Cheers

groeneaj
24th July 2010, 11:46 PM
Anyone recall how much the bessey k-body clamps were (either size) and the domino package with all the cutters?

I wasn't ready to buy one at the Sydney show, but I'm going to drive down to the Canberra show to watch some demos and hopefully buy a domino and some k-body clamps.

Andy

Tankstand
25th July 2010, 07:27 PM
Well, that's it for the year!

I hope the show returns again next year .

Spent today watching all but the last of Theo Haralampou's demonstrations. Learned several new tricks. Was impressed with his flair and talent! Great to see the chatter tool explained and demonstrated.

Bought some Huon Pine, Blackwood and Osage Orange.

Thanks to all of the exhibitors who made the trip over for us.

Great to catch up with the Ubeaut team and Jim & Irene.

Thanks to big Stan for the souvenir bookmark of Lignum Vitae!

Might have to convince the missus to go on a holiday to Canberra or Melbourne soon!:2tsup::no: