PDA

View Full Version : a bargain Nova 3000

hughie
3rd March 2010, 11:07 PM
Old but new.

NOVA 3000 WOOD LATHE ON STAND WITH SUPERNOVA CHUCK - eBay, Equipment, Machinery, Woodworking, Industrial. (end time 07-Mar-10 11:54:21 AEDST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110500615391&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

Calm
4th March 2010, 07:22 AM
Great beginners lathe Hughie and with a speed range of

"The lathe has more than adequate power and range of speeds far more than any other equivilent lathe on the market. Eight speeds from 214rpm - 3600rpm"

makes it a better first lathe than a mc900/1100 or one of it's clones.

Swivel head & low seed of 214rpm makes it suitable for bigger lumps of wood not quite in balance.

I agree great buy

Cheers

artme
4th March 2010, 08:04 AM
Someone needs to grab this!!

A real bargain!

wolften
4th March 2010, 08:51 AM
...watching :)

Ozkaban
4th March 2010, 09:23 AM
I think this lathe is all but identical to the 1624-44. Very nice to use, and the speed range is excellent. I think one went a couple of months back on ebay for just under $800, but that had 2 bed extensions and a bunch of stuff with it, I think. It was also located close to Sydney which helps attracting more bidders!

I agree that this would be an excellent first lathe.

Cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
4th March 2010, 01:32 PM
I think this lathe is all but identical to the 1624-44. Very nice to use, and the speed range is excellent. I think one went a couple of months back on ebay for just under $800, but that had 2 bed extensions and a bunch of stuff with it, I think. It was also located close to Sydney which helps attracting more bidders!

I agree that this would be an excellent first lathe.

Cheers,
Dave

Guys, not a big fan of Teknatool's accessories of late, but their lathes are workhorses. My Nova 1500, bought new in 1994, is still the only lathe I use and still has the original bearings and poly drive belt...it is really a bit more than a first lathe :D

Ozkaban
4th March 2010, 01:41 PM
Guys, not a big fan of Teknatool's accessories of late, but their lathes are workhorses. My Nova 1500, bought new in 1994, is still the only lathe I use and still has the original bearings and poly drive belt...it is really a bit more than a first lathe :D

hi Ed, You're probably right on both counts. I guess I meant it is in the price range of other options (like the MC900/1100 lathes) making it realistic for first timers who want to dip their toes without blowing the budget. It is far better than the chinese cheapies, and would last you a very long time. It would be hard to outgrow the lathe unless you were desperate for EVS or wanted to turn really big bowls/platters, etc. And by big I mean in weight more than diameter.

Cheers,
Dabe

colhu
4th March 2010, 10:31 PM
Hi all

I think the one Dave mentioned as going for about $800 a couple of months ago is the one I bought. It came with two bed extensions and the stand but nothing else, but I was happy with the price I paid, and I have been very happy using it since. The chuck on this one is probably worth about the same as the extra bed extension on mine, so it will be interesting to see what other people think it is worth.

I have to agree with Ed - I certainly wouldn't see it as an entry level lathe, but then I stepped up from a Hafco MC900 clone.

cheers, Colin

hughie
5th March 2010, 08:27 AM
Being up on the Sunshine Coast I suspect it might go for a good price, plus a unused Supernova, which maybe the older type 150mm dia. All in all very good value at the moment.

wheelinround
5th March 2010, 08:53 AM
hi Ed, You're probably right on both counts. I guess I meant it is in the price range of other options (like the MC900/1100 lathes) making it realistic for first timers who want to dip their toes without blowing the budget. It is far better than the chinese cheapies, and would last you a very long time. It would be hard to outgrow the lathe unless you were desperate for EVS or wanted to turn really big bowls/platters, etc. And by big I mean in weight more than diameter.

Cheers,
Dabe

Not knocking the older Nova's/Teknatool's

How soon will it be before we saying the same thing about Teknatool/Nova's lathes being chineses cheepies. .................:rolleyes: ah yeh that thread was already done wasn't it.

Ed Reiss
5th March 2010, 12:44 PM
Not knocking the older Nova's/Teknatool's

How soon will it be before we saying the same thing about Teknatool/Nova's lathes being chineses cheepies. .................:rolleyes: ah yeh that thread was already done wasn't it.

yep...but it bears keeping in mind, Ray:;

Mulgabill
5th March 2010, 02:41 PM
$400.00 !!!!!!!:oo::oo: What a great buy!

petersemple
5th March 2010, 02:56 PM
$400.00 !!!!!!!:oo::oo: What a great buy!

and no bids. Sigh, if I had seen it sooner, and could persuade the wife I may have tried to sell the MC900 for this one. Oh well

wheelinround
5th March 2010, 03:20 PM
Well looks like its gone wasn't to be finished till the 7th just saw it go wonder if it was up for sale elsewhere :o $400 steel of a price

robyn2839
5th March 2010, 03:55 PM
great lathe ,i have identical one ,lot more than a beginners lathe ,they are excellent, accurate ,good speed range, lot better than the mcs etc, seems to be a bit of snobery going on as to lathe types, ie if its not a vicmarc,stubby,jet ,its crap,not so.and i have no issues with their accessories either ,well made, and at a fraction of vicmarc prices.bargain ..just my few cents worth..bob

Calm
5th March 2010, 05:35 PM
Lets have a look at this

$400
Second-hand
6 years old
Superseded model
Belt adj speeds
swivel head

So what to be a first time lathe you cant get something this good? - how can you people say better that a first lathe - if someone wants to try wood-turning and only has $400 - $500 this is far better than a MC900 new or a GMC or Ryobi - this lathe is ideal for a first lathe.

I think anyone who has a better lathe than a GMC would not be interested in this lathe, the step up from a MC900 is not that great.

Anyone who purchased this would be able to use it until they wanted EVS and to do pieces that were too heavy to lift and out of balance.

As for snobbery get off my back, everyone is entitled to their opinion but fair go i started with a Hafco WL18HD (MC1100 clone) and still have it and use it as well as the stubby - i could accuse you of jealousy but wouldn't bother.

I think Ray is on the money - sold elsewhere or someone offered a good price and didn't want to wait for sale to end.

A good opportunity missed i say.

Cheers

hughie
5th March 2010, 07:57 PM
Probably the guy spotted this thread and had second thoughts about the price :U I know I would have.

Ozkaban
6th March 2010, 08:39 AM
i could accuse you of jealousy but wouldn't bother.

Good idea... We were talking about beginner/intermediate lathes. We all know you're proud of your stubby and rightly so. It's a great lathe. Not relevant to this conversation though.

Probably the guy spotted this thread and had second thoughts about the price :U I know I would have.

The other Nova that Colhu bought started at around this price - it's an auction, you would expect it to rise...