PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle

Grumpy John
5th March 2010, 11:41 AM
After an enforced shed layoff of almost 2 weeks (due to carpal tunnel op) I bit the bullet and decided to finish off a salad bowl I've been working on for over a year now. All that was needed was some sanding and to finish the bottom of the outside. The outside is almost finished except for making a plug to fill the too deep tenon I made :doh:. The hand was starting to burn a bit so I called it quits for the morning, hopefully will finish it this arvo. The timber is Blue Spruce (from memory), if anyone thinks it could be something else don't be afraid to say so. It's been oiled with Paraffin oil. The bowl is App. 300mm Dia.

131351 131352 131353 131354

Ed Reiss
5th March 2010, 12:26 PM
After an enforced shed layoff of almost 2 weeks (due to carpal tunnel op) I bit the bullet and decided to finish off a salad bowl I've been working on for over a year now

...John, your getting to be almost as slow as me :roll::D

Not ever fun to go under the knife...heal quickly, friend.

rsser
5th March 2010, 12:40 PM
yr recovery is coming along nicely GJ. good news

FWIW I gave you a large lump of spruce a while ago. might be it.

Edit, on 2nd thoughts, think you gave me one, and I passed it on. Senior's moment :doh:

tea lady
5th March 2010, 02:37 PM
I think he was passing Spuce out left right and center. Even I got one. :D

Nice bowl Grumpy. That should keep the cherry tomatoes from rolling all over the table.:cool::D

Texian
5th March 2010, 03:21 PM
Looks thin and very pretty from here. Careful with the crappy tumbler thing and don't overdo it.

Grumpy John
5th March 2010, 04:37 PM

...John, your getting to be almost as slow as me :roll::D

Not ever fun to go under the knife...heal quickly, friend.

This bowl developed so many cracks in it during drying that I almost threw it on the scrapheap. However I decided to persevere with it and put it back in the garbage bag full of shavings. About a month ago I finally decided enough is enough and mounted it on the lathe to true it up. The wall thickness when I started was about 35mm and by the time I had turned the ovality out of it the wall thickness was down to ~8mm. I filled the cracks with sawdust and CA, except for the large one which is shavings from the key cutting machine at Bunnies mixed with Araldite and left it till today when I decided to extract the digit and finish it. I'm glad I decided to keep it as there is some nice spalting going on and I think the grain structure is quite interesting.

TTIT
5th March 2010, 04:51 PM
Geez GJ, you sure the soft sections on your Cole-jaws are big enough :o Making sure it won't let go eh!
Don't go silly on that hand - there's enough 1-armed bandits on here already (or is that 1.55 armed bandits :; )
I'll reserve judgement on the bowl until I see the finished product - as they say, it ain't over til the fat lady eats from it! :U

rsser
5th March 2010, 05:47 PM
Crikey, hope his missus doesn't read this thread over his shoulder ;-}

artme
6th March 2010, 09:31 AM
Great effort there GJ. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

As Ed said, take it easy with those hands and don't overdo it.

Grumpy John
6th March 2010, 01:36 PM
O.K. Vern, here's the finished bowl. It has lumps and bumps all over it due to movement, I'm surprised it held together as well as it did considering how much heartwood I left in and the cracks around the branches don't help either. I filled the spigot hole with some redgum, hope it holds together. Does anyone know what causes the pink colouring, I suspect it is a byproduct of the spalting process.

131426 131427 131428 131429

tea lady
6th March 2010, 01:49 PM
If the pink is from the spalting it will prolly go brown after a while. That sort of thing is a bit fugitive I think. :C Nice though.:cool:

rsser
6th March 2010, 04:23 PM
FWIW with salad bowls GJ you might that find a wider base makes them more stable, for tossing leafy and lumpy bits.

Grumpy John
6th March 2010, 04:29 PM
FWIW with salad bowls GJ you might that find a wider base makes them more stable, for tossing leafy and lumpy bits.

I deliberately made it quite thick at the base to help stabalise the bowl for the reasons you mentioned. Time will tell if it works. The cherry tomatoes may still end up all over the kitchen table :rolleyes:.

TTIT
6th March 2010, 11:27 PM
Fair enough - nice job GJ :2tsup: I've seen pink staining in White cypress and a couple of other similar timbers as a margin around insect attack - don't know if it stays pink 'cos all the pieces I've turned with the pink in them have either sold or been given away :shrug:

Allen Neighbors
7th March 2010, 01:08 AM
Truly a nice job GJ. Glad you got it finished. I don't think you'll have to chase too many tomatoes.
Could the pink be some of that stuff a tree sends to wounded parts? ... sort of like a Box Elder does?
At any rate, Well done!

Grumpy John
7th March 2010, 07:52 AM
Truly a nice job GJ. Glad you got it finished. I don't think you'll have to chase too many tomatoes.
Could the pink be some of that stuff a tree sends to wounded parts? ... sort of like a Box Elder does?
At any rate, Well done!

Could be, I've got a piece of Box Elder with pink stain also.

steck
7th March 2010, 08:04 AM
Nice work!:2tsup:
Glad to hear the wrist is getting better and you can use the SHIFT key again! LOL
I also have a pink stain in some spalted spruce. As Tea Lady said, it is getting less pink as time goes by. I suspect it will end up brown.
My bowl was also quite cracked ( Lots of fine cracks rather than big wide gaps) so I used Polyerethane to try and hold it together. It was going to cost a fortune in super glue.

rsser
7th March 2010, 08:18 AM
Got several rough outs of Box Elder that had some very nice pink stripes.

All vanished as they dried.

Maybe that's just oxidation and can be reduced when the bowls are turned down and sealed immediately. On the other hand, if it's UV ....

Ed Reiss
7th March 2010, 12:52 PM
O.K. Vern, here's the finished bowl. It has lumps and bumps all over it due to movement, I'm surprised it held together as well as it did considering how much heartwood I left in and the cracks around the branches don't help either. I filled the spigot hole with some redgum, hope it holds together. Does anyone know what causes the pink colouring, I suspect it is a byproduct of the spalting process.

...and, boys and girls, that's why it's called a bowl movement :;:D

tea lady
7th March 2010, 03:37 PM
Got several rough outs of Box Elder that had some very nice pink stripes.

All vanished as they dried.

Maybe that's just oxidation and can be reduced when the bowls are turned down and sealed immediately. On the other hand, if it's UV ....I think it is UV that turns it brown. The bit of info I found seemed t think that. If you use "outdoor" finishes that have UV inhibitor in it ithe change is slowed down somewhat. Or keep it in a cupboard.:doh:

...and, boys and girls, that's why it's called a bowl movement :;:D:groan: :flush:

rsser
7th March 2010, 04:03 PM
Marine/spar varnish is said to contain UV inhibitors but I don't know of a big rush among wood finishers to use it.

In the case of these bowls the pink went leaving the wood the same as the dark cream colour around it. Who knows?

hughie
7th March 2010, 09:13 PM
Ciba® LIGNOSTAB® 1198
Wood Lignin Stabilizer

have a look at this stuff supposed to be the best there is. Although Ciba are useless communicators, could get any more info than a pdf file from the German site. But they have several offices here in Oz. :?