PDA

View Full Version : The story continues - time to build a house

Calm
5th March 2010, 06:29 PM
Following from here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f68/how-life-can-change-week-84346/)

Time to build a house - the one already there is resting on the ground - no not the roof but not far from it.

Of course you need tools to do the job - thought this would come in handy - boy my toys tools are getting tooo exy lately.

The position is near a power pole and the existing hay shed with a good north view.

North

East

South - driveway from this direction

West

I downloaded Smartdraw and made a rough plan of what i thought was a reasonable layout - my idea of a "farm" house is rectangular with a veranda all the way round.

Was told to go to display homes and check them out for ideas etc - after 20 minutes at the first on (i was over it) but this plan is not bad. The family room needs to include the alfresco area (bring it inside instead of outside) and the bedroom side would be better flipped over so the lounge could be a rumpus room near the kids bedroom.

And of course a supervisor 131380

So all help , ideas welcome. - i am going to build/buy a shed (about 6 x 9 - as in the word doc) about 6 metres from the end of the house - thought if i covered this 6 metres with roof it could be a drive through carport. - no veranda this end.
would it be cheaper to build brick shed and continue the roof-line the full length to include shed and carport?

Doing it as Owner builder (http://www.ownerbuild.com.au/want-to-owner-build/victoria). - help where are you skew.

Cheers

weisyboy
5th March 2010, 08:54 PM
wow you seam to have plenty to do.:2tsup:

Pat
5th March 2010, 08:58 PM
Shed's not big enough :q

ian
5th March 2010, 10:45 PM
Pat's right

but back to your question
are you looking to save as much $$ as possible or to get a consistent look in the whole structure?

To my aesetic a separate shed connected to the main building by a car port would look very tacked on
while a continuation of the house's roof line to a shed in the same materials as the house can look like the office section of a motel

Me?
I'd put a bigger shed further from the house and not physically connect it to the house

tea lady
6th March 2010, 12:07 AM
Me?
I'd put a bigger shed further from the house and not physically connect it to the houseMe too! I reckon its good to have the shed/studio a bit away from the house. :cool: Stuff doesn't wander into the house so easy. (Still manages somehow to get there thought. But not as much! :D ) I like the distance Jefferson's is from his house.:cool:

tea lady
6th March 2010, 12:08 AM
Oh! And nice Tonka toy! :cool::D

DJ’s Timber
6th March 2010, 12:29 AM
Looks like it's time for me to come and visit again :U

whitewood
6th March 2010, 07:27 AM
My only comment based on experience is not pay attention (spend money) to make the entrance etc look grand, called Streetscape, No one sees the house from the street.

Calm
6th March 2010, 10:42 AM
DJ i will have to look at more logs then might have another go with the lucas. - you only want to play with my new toy :D:D not really coming to visit me i know :p

Shed size - the full width of the house 10 to 11 metres (not including verandas) and 6 or 7 metres wide - should be about a 4 car shed. - i dont intend to use shed for car - that is what the drive through carport is for. shed is for toys tools

House is about 300 (gravel) - 450 (bitumen) metres from road - driveway will probably be cattle grid then through paddock or laneway - i HATE opening gates everytime you come or go so that wont happen.

Ian - Not sure yet how long i intend to live here so part of the design is for resale reasons - i could live in a "Bond" transportable (2 bedroom) but would do nothing for the value of the property. So appearance means a lot - another owner could turn the carport into fernery or whatever.

With long cold winters long distance to shed is not ideal - the hay shed will have the "farm" stuff in it so shed at house is "domestic"

Added :- the old house has iron roof straight over shingles, and i think the floor boards maybe baltic pine (some of them anyway), there are also some lining boards in the old house. May be attractive to demolish (not remove)

Thanks for the thoughts - i can feel a BBQ/turn-on coming up - 12 months away

Cheers

weisyboy
6th March 2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the thoughts - i can feel a BBQ/turn-on coming up - 12 months away

with a huge bonfire?

ian
6th March 2010, 11:09 PM
Shed size - the full width of the house 10 to 11 metres (not including verandas) and 6 or 7 metres wide - should be about a 4 car shed. - i dont intend to use shed for car - that is what the drive through carport is for. shed is for toys tools

Ian - Not sure yet how long i intend to live here so part of the design is for resale reasons - i could live in a "Bond" transportable (2 bedroom) but would do nothing for the value of the property. So appearance means a lot - another owner could turn the carport into fernery or whatever.so who do you think might buy the property?

A near neighbour? — he's probably only interested in what he can do with the land and bugger any house, new or otherwise

a cashed up couple from Melbourne ? — they're most likely looking for either a rustic rural retreat (i.e. the old house) or "style" give 'em a new house with a tacked on 4 car shed and they'll likely be turned right off -- I would be. Remember this sort of buyer is coming from the 'burbs where the garage is part of the house and you don't get wet or cold moving from teh car to the house.
Give 'em a 4 car garage that's part of the house with, if you must, a car port to one side and they might buy it on the basis that the car port will be the first thing they'll change.
BUT I doubt that building a new house will add much if any value to the property unless the house is the sort your target buyer fancies — and by your earlier post you're not interested in researching that aspect.
Rereading that last sentance I'm sound very harsh, if not out right rude — please understand I'm not having a go at you. To give my comments some perspective, in 4 months I'll be old enough to retire and start drawing a life long CPI adjusted pension from my super scheme. One of the retirement options my wife and I have discussed is selling our inner city abode and doing a tree change. If we do, she wants a place with an established garden -- which typically means an old house. I want a place that will be low mantenance with high ceilings. Buying your property as is to do a knock down and rebuild our dream home would be more attractive to us than buying the property after you've errected the sort of house you've described earlier.

Calm
7th March 2010, 09:20 AM
so who do you think might buy the property?

A near neighbour? — he's probably only interested in what he can do with the land and bugger any house, new or otherwise

a cashed up couple from Melbourne ? — they're most likely looking for either a rustic rural retreat (i.e. the old house) or "style" give 'em a new house with a tacked on 4 car shed and they'll likely be turned right off -- I would be. Remember this sort of buyer is coming from the 'burbs where the garage is part of the house and you don't get wet or cold moving from teh car to the house.
Give 'em a 4 car garage that's part of the house with, if you must, a car port to one side and they might buy it on the basis that the car port will be the first thing they'll change.
BUT I doubt that building a new house will add much if any value to the property unless the house is the sort your target buyer fancies — and by your earlier post you're not interested in researching that aspect.
Rereading that last sentance I'm sound very harsh, if not out right rude — please understand I'm not having a go at you. To give my comments some perspective, in 4 months I'll be old enough to retire and start drawing a life long CPI adjusted pension from my super scheme. One of the retirement options my wife and I have discussed is selling our inner city abode and doing a tree change. If we do, she wants a place with an established garden -- which typically means an old house. I want a place that will be low mantenance with high ceilings. Buying your property as is to do a knock down and rebuild our dream home would be more attractive to us than buying the property after you've errected the sort of house you've described earlier.

Thanks Ian that is exactly what i wanted - your own opinion - that way i make my decisions knowing what your preferences are.:2tsup::2tsup: - want to buy a farm in Ballan?:D:D