PDA

View Full Version : Garage options

Reno RSS Feed
6th March 2010, 10:30 PM
Hi all. I have a 4.5 x 8 metre garage towards the back of my corner block. Having the asbestos cladding removed next week. I intend to reclad for the short term because it will cost me more to pay to store all my stuff.

I would keep the current garage and just renovate it for now but the problem is the concrete floor has subsided. It is made up of 6 panels on which the frame sits. They have subsided on the edges so there is a slope from the centre down towards the edges with a gap opening up between the slabs. The garage would be from the 60's.

There is a large tree on the nature strip so I don't know if its affecting but the driveway has the same problem to a lesser extent.

I just wanted some advice on the various options I am considering.

Ideally I would rip the whole lot out and have a double brick double garage built 6.5 x 9 metres. However reality precludes this. I could probably do it but the house still needs a new kitchen, deck/verandah etc.

There is also a 1.8 metre easement on the back of the property. There is nothing under it but there is a sewer on the other side of the fence. Hopefully I can get approval to build over it.

My thoughts were to build a garage with a timber frame. 6.5x9m with plumbing for a toilet and shower. I want to partition off part of it for a guest unit and study. I have heard that you can't build habitable rooms over sewerage pipes but this won't be on top of them.

I am capable of doing the internal work myself, partition, plastering, etc. Was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much something like the above would cost. (Rough guide / ball park live in melbourne.)

If I can't get approval to build over easement would make it 4.5x9m. How much cheaper would that be?

Other option was to put in the slab, a stratco gable shed but replace the stratco cladding with blueboard and render. Spoke with stratco and they have said the panels are structural. So if I went that way would I need an engineer to approve the modifications. Would it be much cheaper?

Just looking for some general information and advice so I can get an idea of where to start.

[url=http://www.renovateforum.com/f83/garage-options-89596/Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...[/url]