PDA

View Full Version : Bowl steady, cheap and cheerful

rsser
9th September 2004, 09:06 PM
I'm always impressed to see expert bowl turners steady the outside of a thinning bowl with their fingers, thumb reaching across to hold the gouge on the rest. Since I'm not an expert, I did of course first think about a mechanical aid!

Oneway make a bowl steady and it's fearsomely expensive to ship out here. Attached are some photos of my modest knock-off. It has one rather than two wheels.

So far I've tried it on a deepish bowl and that ran out of true as it was hollowed so the steady wasn't much help. Then on a thin platter, for sanding only. It was 25cm across and started to flex a good deal. The steady worked a treat.

All up cost was $12, steel cut and welded to my plan - plus a bit of fallout from the teenager who had to sacrifice a pair of roller blades he never used anyway ;)

Alastair
10th September 2004, 03:09 PM
Ern

Brilliant.

Do you mind if I rip off the idea. I have spare scooter wheels, having bought some to make a 3-way steady, and then having the kids throw out 2 scooters.

I like thin bowls, and am not a ridid adherent to the "finish the rim before you hollow deeper" theory, as I find it more difficult to achieve the smooth flowing curves I prefer. This will help heaps.

Alastair

barnsey
10th September 2004, 06:13 PM
I know i can be as ignorant as a blonde - no bald maybe but not blonde. :o
I've managed to get thin edged bowls but I get to a point where their practicality is in jeopardy. The blondes will drop it and it wont have the strength to keep itself together.
Don't see much point in making something that has a level of durability which defeats its purpose. :confused:
OK if it's an ornamental piece I'll concede but I'm a bit of a pragmatist so my opinion is coming from that direction.
As a consequence from the pic you provided I'm wondering how you get the tool rest close enough to be able to turn such a delicate piece in the first place. :eek:
Maybe I'm misguided but would be pleased to hear others thoughts. :)

smidsy
10th September 2004, 06:15 PM
Hei Ern,
That looks a nice peice of gear so I might have to make one myself.
Cheers
Paul

PS Anyone know where I can get a balaclava - need to go to the skate park and mug some kids for wheels :D

rsser
10th September 2004, 10:05 PM
Alastair - thanks for the feedback; knockoff to your heart's content - that's what I did!

If I were doing another, I'd think about two wheels as per the Oneway, above and one below the equator.

Barnsey: yeah, fair call. I've done thin, decorative and useless, and thicker, pragmatic and durable .... all depends on how I'm inclined at the moment.

Smidsey - go to a dedicated roller blade shop, they should give you a worn one for nix. Otherwise I can see what happened to the other seven my kid 'donated' ;-}