PDA

View Full Version : Rip vs cross cut

labr@
8th March 2010, 12:23 AM
Bought a cross cut Z saw late last year and been very happy with it. It's the only saw I've ever been able to cut a straight line with and gives a finish that I still find hard to believe. In a moment of impatience I used it to rip a 2 metre strip off of a plank of recycled WRC so I could see what condition the timber was inside. It did this quite well but I am wondering how much easier it might have been with a saw designed for ripping.

Not sure whether to put a rip style saw on the shopping list or just stick with the cross cut.
Can anyone tell me how much difference there is in performance between the 2 when ripping?

Sheets
8th March 2010, 12:48 AM
Hi Bob,

There would be significant difference. After all, teeth are different because they are optimized for their particular job and type(s) of wood. Although, as you've demonstrated, they will still work to some degree in the "wrong" direction.

Your Z saw handle should be able to fit a Z rip blade, so you could just order a replacement and then switch blades as needed. But since that's sometimes inconvenient, a separate blade and handle for each is nice, but cost a little more.

I can recommend:
Tools from Japan, Japanese woodworking tools direct from Japan. (http://toolsfromjapan.com/store/)
as a source (although there are certainly many others).

Happy shopping:U

Steve

Claw Hama
8th March 2010, 01:02 AM
Hi Bob, I have handmade double sided that I bought from So at www.japan-tool.com (http://www.japan-tool.com) in Sydney, he is a forum member although he doesn't come on line very often. Sometimes his web site has a closed sign on it but email him anyway and tell him I sent you and he will most likely get back to you. The double sided is very handy sometimes when cutting different timbers and you can instantley swap from crosscut to rip or vise versa.

labr@
8th March 2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks for those replies. There's no rush but a rip blade for the Z handle is now on the list. :)