PDA

View Full Version : Help to remove glued on concrete

richardlbt
9th March 2010, 06:47 PM
Hi all. Not sure if its the right place to post. Got my hands on some teak (i think) steps from my church which is undergoing renovations. The problem is some kind of glue (max bond??) was used to glue them to the concrete steps. The wood was removed but with large chunks of concrete stuck on. Is there an easier way to remove the concrete or hammer chisel and lots of sweat the only way. I do not and have no access to a bandsaw.

Thanks

soundman
15th April 2010, 11:17 PM
A hammer and chisel wisely applied will be faster than you think....remember a cold chisel should be sharp too.

be carfull not to smash the concrete into the timber though....you don't want grit in the grain.

The construction adhesive is going to be the pain rather than the cement.

If you can get rid of as much grit as possible an electric hand plane is the best thing I have seen for construction adhesive.... but you'll want to replace the blades after.

cheers

billbeee
17th April 2010, 09:47 AM
I'd use a lump hammer and a brickies bolster.
Sit the timber firm on a flat clean floor and against a wall to stop it sliding, stand on it. The idea is to get it as solid as possible. Then belt the bolster under the concrete. If you can keep it solid it should come off fairly easily.
Keep the area clean so you don't get bits of concrete under the timber, which will damage the face. Use a sharp wood chisel when the rough stuff is off.

Cheers
Bill

richardlbt
17th April 2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys for the advice.

Got the stuff off with hammer and chisel. Got an old wood chisel and carefully seperated the concrete from the wood. Afterwhich i planed the wood to remove the glue.

:2tsup:
Richard