PDA

View Full Version : Segmented oak platter with a merbau dubble star inlay

Ad de Crom
9th March 2010, 09:54 PM
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Spend a lot of time with this fun project.
Had a couple of old oak shelfs and merbau, just good enough for this segmented platter.
Diameter 290mm. Finished with a couple of layers blanc transparent lacquer on waterbase.
Comments or critique are always welcome.
Cheers, Ad

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

gal turner
10th March 2010, 03:41 AM
Hi Ad..I have not been on this site for very long, so I'm just getting around to going back through posts, I like your bowl Are you familiar with the new segmented turning website that came from the AAW? I think a link at American Association of Woodturners is available to get you there. If you already knew this, please forgive me for telling you.:)

Ad de Crom
10th March 2010, 06:30 AM
Hi Ad..I have not been on this site for very long, so I'm just getting around to going back through posts, I like your bowl Are you familiar with the new segmented turning website that came from the AAW? I think a link at American Association of Woodturners is available to get you there. If you already knew this, please forgive me for telling you.:)
No, I'm not familiar with the new segmented turning website that came from the AAW.
Did read in the past many articles about segmented turnings, as I found it very interesting. It would be great to know where I can find the link.
Thank you, Ad

gal turner
10th March 2010, 07:07 AM
OK Ad : google segmentedwoodturners.org that ought to get you there. If not it is listed under woodturning forums also..I enjoy the site. I just look, as it's set up that one has to join & pay $, but free if you just want to look at folk's turnings and read some of the question & answer section. Good Luck

bowl-basher
10th March 2010, 07:25 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Ad as usual you amaze us with your work another top one mate
Regards
Graham

BozInOz
10th March 2010, 07:46 AM
:2tsup:

artme
10th March 2010, 07:53 AM
So that is why you have been relatively quiet!!

Planning ang making this little stunner!!:D:D

Welldone - as usual!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
10th March 2010, 07:59 AM
Oak and Merbu very nice looking platter Ad :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
10th March 2010, 09:05 AM
OK Ad : google segmentedwoodturners.org that ought to get you there. If not it is listed under woodturning forums also..I enjoy the site. I just look, as it's set up that one has to join & pay $, but free if you just want to look at folk's turnings and read some of the question & answer section. Good Luck
Thank you very much, found it.
Who else than our good old Malcolm Tibbens, he creates so many mind boggling segmented turnings. Put it into my favorites.
Thanks again, Ad

Ad de Crom
10th March 2010, 09:15 AM
So that is why you have been relatively quiet!!

Planning ang making this little stunner!!:D:D

Welldone - as usual!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Thanks Arthur, lived this very long cold winter like a bear in his wintersleep, and just woke up :D
Ad

Ozkaban
10th March 2010, 10:43 AM
Stunning platter :2tsup: The segmenting works really well with that shape.

Cheers,
Dave

Texian
10th March 2010, 12:28 PM
Ad,
Please cut it in half and show the edge view so we can see the construction. On second thought, best leave it in one piece. Nice work.

Hey gal turner, are you from any particular spot in the u.s.a.? It's a big place. Almost as big as Texas.

Ed Reiss
10th March 2010, 01:34 PM
Spring must be coming, Ad's turning again!!!!

Very nice AD :2tsup:

patrick m stein
10th March 2010, 02:21 PM
hi ad,

i have a question if you dont mined.how did you get the star pieces in without going all the way through.are the inlays.

thanks ,patrick

Texian
10th March 2010, 03:27 PM
Patrick,
I missed that the first time too. The ring and star pattern is an inlay into the main segmented oak ring. Looks like the bottom is an additional segmented ring. Not sure about the center disc.

Perfect alignment between the inlay and the substrate.

powderpost
10th March 2010, 08:42 PM
An excellent piece Ad, good to see you back in the saddle. How thick is the star section?
Jim

orificiam
10th March 2010, 09:17 PM
Congrats Ad Excellent work as usual Nice to see you back in the Workshop.:2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

joe greiner
10th March 2010, 10:48 PM
Stunning, Ad.:2tsup:

Care to reveal how you did the circular interfaces?

Cheers,
Joe

Ad de Crom
11th March 2010, 01:51 AM
Thank you all for the nice comments.
To give an answer on questions I saw about the building up of the stars, I attach a few pictures here. In fact it's very simple, only it needed patience.
These pictures will make it all clear.
Cheers, Ad