PDA

View Full Version : Wagner Safe-T-Planer

echnidna
10th September 2004, 12:36 PM
I need to make an ongoing supply of veneer so I bought a Wagner Safe T planer.
I used one briefly years ago and was impressed by its capabilities.

Is there an easy way of setting up the drill press so all my veneers come out with the same thickness?
or should I setup another drill press to use as a dedicated safe t planer machine? Though I am fast running out of room in my workshop so space for yet another machine is an issue.

Sturdee
10th September 2004, 01:38 PM
Bob,

In view of the repeated accuracy needed for veneers I would go for a dedicated machine setup. A cheap GMC drill press would probably be ok.

Peter.

ClintO
10th September 2004, 01:39 PM
I have seen this product in the Carbatec catalogue and wondered about it. How are you going to produce veneers? I assume you are intending to use it as a planer .

I would be concerned about putting a side load on the bearings of my drill press. Drill presses are designed for vertical forces not sideways.

Sprog
10th September 2004, 01:54 PM
I have seen this product in the Carbatec catalogue and wondered about it. How are you going to produce veneers? I assume you are intending to use it as a planer .

I would be concerned about putting a side load on the bearings of my drill press. Drill presses are designed for vertical forces not sideways.

Wagner Safe-T-Planer (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Planes/1/Wagner_Safe-T-Planer/Instructions/I-0485.html#details)

echnidna
10th September 2004, 02:11 PM
Sprog and Clinto.
I know what you mean about side loads on a drill press but from limited experience the safe t planer doesnt need excessive side thrust.
I am going to make a small sliding vacuum table that slides under the cutter, I saw one in an old mag years ago (maybe FWW)

Peter,
I think thats right but maybe someone has a quick and accurate setup method.

derekcohen
10th September 2004, 05:21 PM
echnidna

I hope you are going to make really THICK veneer. What you are suggesting just does not sound safe!!! Get a bandsaw for veneer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

echnidna
10th September 2004, 05:50 PM
Derek, theres no such thing as a foolproof tool but the safe t planer comes close to it. You would really have to do something very stupid to injure yourself on one.

Sturdee
10th September 2004, 06:05 PM
Bob,

The only thing I can think of is to get some sheets of thin plastic the thickness of the veneers that you want to make . Say 1mm 2mm and 3mm and use it to set the distance between the table and safe t planer.

Show us the details of your final setup as next term I will be learning veneering and inlays at my furniture course. Would be interesting to see what you come up with.

Peter.

John Saxton
10th September 2004, 06:18 PM
Bought of these years ago thought it would be handy for rebates cost around 70-75$ way back then have used it a couple of times and does a great job of planing a small rebate on a box.

echnidna
10th September 2004, 06:50 PM
I suppose my easiest way is machine them roughly to size then accurately finish them on the wide drum sander

John Saxton
10th September 2004, 06:58 PM
Yea Bob, those drum sanders can get down to some close margins off the table , not only that they have a fair surface to provide support on the table and would be a safer avenue for you to pursue.
Employ the Wagner planer in other means for rapid timber removal on small section stock.
Good Luck
Cheers :)