PDA

View Full Version : Speed controller

rev
11th March 2010, 05:43 PM
Does anyone use this type of device for controlling the speed of their lathe? What are the pros and cons please? Certainly seems like an inexpensive way to achieve variable speed.

POWER REGULATOR, WOOD LATHE SPEED CONTROLLER on eBay (end time 13-Mar-10 17:47:02 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POWER-REGULATOR-WOOD-LATHE-SPEED-CONTROLLER_W0QQitemZ200448656873QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Control_ET?hash=item2eababc5e9)

old pete
11th March 2010, 06:22 PM
Hi rev,

Yes I've had a CEG constant torque one HP motor and speed controller set for about 3 years. It's mounted on a TOUGH professional 1m bed lathe. Probably works 20 hours per week on average. I never change the pulleys just keep them on the third highest of the four available settings all the time. With the speed controller that pulley setting covers everything from slow slow for drilling things such as salt and pepper grinders to zoom zoom for spindles once rounded up. The motor appears to be truly torque constant regardless of speed. It gets pretty hot if one is working big spindles all day but I haven't had any problems at all. It just brilliant in my view and I greatly regret not having moved to this set up 30 years ago.The one HP power output (constant rated) motor appears quite adequate although I had a 2 1/2 HP motor before that I can only just lift. The original set up was greatly overpowered I'd say but it was what came with the machine new. I guess I just got used to turning far faster than was safe in the rounding up phase a lot of the time as I rarely changed belt position except for drilling.

I haven't tried it for face plate work and bowls as I have a bowl lathe as a separate entity so I just don't know about sufficient power for big bowls in one HP. Should be OK I'd say.

My advice would be to not spend time thinking about it: get straight on to it. About $800 for a single phase set up and about half of that for three phase as VSD's are very common in the industrial scene.

Good Luck Old Pete

rev
11th March 2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks old pete.
But I wonder if we are talking about the same sort of device, in view of the difference in prices. Did you buy a unit similar to this one (that appears to be essentially a rhiostat) and mount it to your single phase motor? Or did you buy a variable speed motor setup, the kind that Jim Carroll sells, and replace the previous motor on the lathe with it? Is Jim's setup essentially the same thing that is being sold here, but with an electric motor? Cheers.

China
11th March 2010, 08:45 PM
"I guess I just got used to turning far faster than was safe in the rounding up phase a lot of the time as I rarely changed belt position except for drilling."
old pete as you have noticed the more experieced you become the less you rely on speed change, most profesional woodturners only use about three speeds but more commonly it is just flat out and stop

old pete
11th March 2010, 10:50 PM
Hi Rev,

Yes my unit is a Carolls set up. The controller and the motor come as a unit. I don't think you can use your own motor. A Rheostat will not give constant torque. Cheers Old Pete

chambezio
11th March 2010, 11:12 PM
I questioned my BIL ( an electronic engineer) about Variable speed for my lathe, hoping he would jump in and say "I'll knock you up a controller, no worries". But he shook his head and said that to vary the speed but keep the horse power you have to control the cycles NOT the voltage, as does a rheostat. The motor is different too in its windings he said. So its not, as I thought, just puting a rheostat in the line, its starting over (Bummer)

The Bleeder
12th March 2010, 07:06 AM
Rev,

Only just caught this thread. That unit is a Kemo unit (Jaycar sell them). It is used for brush type motors. I think Batpig used one to control a Compound Mitre Saw. I don't think it's suitable for what you want.

oldiephred
12th March 2010, 09:45 AM
I doubt that this unit would be effective on a lathe. Can only be operated at 20% duty cycle at full output (6amps) and at 3amps at full duty cycle. Cannot be used on motors with centrifugal starting sw's. It is basically a juised up dimmer sw.

Texian
12th March 2010, 01:15 PM
Steve is correct. The item shown is a voltage controller for use with universal wound motors (the ones that have brushes) like routers. It will NOT work with normal induction motors (no brushes, often have a starting capacitor, etc.). Similar units are sold in the U.S. as "router speed controllers".

Variable speed lathe motors are either DC motors with control unit, or more commonly 3 phase AC motors with EVS/VFD control (insert EE techno-babble) unit that converts single phase AC input from the wall outlet in your shop into the required stuff for the motor. Hope that made sense.

rev
12th March 2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all the comments...doesn't look like it is a goer :(

stuffy
12th March 2010, 08:26 PM
Does that mean I could use something like this for my makita 3612 in a router table to give me variable speed?

Allen Neighbors
12th March 2010, 11:33 PM
This would also work very well, as the controller for that woodburner that's made from a battery charger. It would be beefier than a light/fan dimmer.

Texian
13th March 2010, 02:10 PM
Stuffy, If your router motor has brushes it is a universal wound motor and the voltage controller device should work if it's current rating is equal or greater than that of your router motor.

Phil Spencer
13th March 2010, 03:32 PM
I would want more than a 600W output wouldn't even drive a 1HP motor.

Oddjob1
13th March 2010, 04:23 PM
Hi all,

I'm not much of a fan of electronic controls in such a simple environment that one can get away with a cone drive, this is simply a vee belt pully that has an internal spring arrangement allowing the vee belt to move infinitely from smallest dia to largest by simply lifting or lowering the motor. I have used this config for over 20 years with no probs, just keep your tools sharp.

Regards...oddjob1

The Bleeder
13th March 2010, 09:09 PM
Does that mean I could use something like this for my makita 3612 in a router table to give me variable speed?

Stuffy,

No it won't. Current rating is not there. They are a resoanly unit and I drive a 1200w CMS with it with no funny burning smells.

There is another kit from Jaycar. I think it's KC5478 or some thing like that. Do a search on this forums for speed controllers as there are a few threads on them. Watson Batpig and myself have built a few. I currently use the obove kit to drive my Makita 3612 in the table. It is a lot better than the other kit that was around.

FYI the kit will handle 2400W so that plenty for the Mak.

If you can't get one let me know as I have a spare one that I haven't built. Happy to part with it if you need it.

oldiephred
14th March 2010, 10:02 AM
one can get away with a cone drive, this is simply a vee belt pully that has an internal spring arrangement

I agree and also think the EVS and similar units are somewhat over rated. The "cone drive" is commonly known as the Reeves unit here and both pulleys adjust at the same time, although the single pulley unit is fine. They are very easily adjusted and almost anyone can maintain and troubleshoot them. IMHO of course.

stuffy
14th March 2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks Steve,
It seems like a great way to add v.s. to a good router. Especially coz I won't have to fiddle under the table.
I'll check it out at my nearest Jaycar.
:)