PDA

View Full Version : Private Property Forestry in NSW

Stopper
11th March 2010, 05:47 PM
Legislation representing a "compromise" between industry and conservation means that all private native forestry operations in NSW require a Private Vegetation Plan (PVP) and compliance with the Private Native Forestry code of practice.
You simply go to DECCW with the details of your block and they give you a map showing old growth and rainforest areas and a copy of the code. If you are not happy with the map they will review it. If you are still not happy they will come out and do a detailed survey of your forest and a final map. All you then have to do is sign on the dotted line and you can carry out forestry operations on what is left for up to 15yrs.
Your operations must still comply with the code.
For my property this represents a severe restriction on the area that I can manage for forestry but others may not be as badly affected and enjoy the peace of mind that the agreement offers.
Some loop holes exist but I'd imagine they will be quickly closed.

For comment

regards
Steve

InterTD6
13th March 2010, 10:28 PM
If your talking about old growth around dorrigo it would not be easy to find, its been gone over lots of times so there would be stumps & snig trails through it everwhere.
And Its not easy to get a rainforest with under 30% of crown cover thats not a rainforest species. When this was all legislated they had some meager compensation for areas that couldnt be logged, but they only have 400K to spend over a couple of years now in the latter stages. By the way little johnny H took away the land holders rights to clear timber Australia wide with an agreement with the states for which he paid them hundreds of millions of dollars, which was never paid in fair compensation to the landholders, the states just pocketed the bulk of it.
regards inter