PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Dust Collector Needs

echnidna
10th September 2004, 06:41 PM
For some reason many members of this forum have the idea that only the biggest dust collectors are worthwhile so they are probably buying much more than they truly need. This wastes money that could be spent on other toys without affecting health and safety issues.

In Oz we are blessed with climates that mean we can poke our dust collector outlets outside the workshop. This means we dont have the need for ultra fine filters that woodies in the states and europe need.

Have a look at this site for a reasonable guide to dust extraction needs based on sound engineering principles.
http://www.woodworkingtools.com/Editorials/february.html

Grunt
10th September 2004, 09:05 PM
You should also checkout Bill Pentz' site. It's got everything you need to know about dust collection.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

echnidna
11th September 2004, 10:30 AM
Seen Bill's site before and yes its a top site.

But the climate in the states means that its too expensive to lose the warm air in your workshop by blowing it out into the snow at hundreds of CFM. So the mechanical efficiency of minimising dust particle size is crucial to them.

We are not stuck with the climate problem so we dont need the level of mechanical sophistication in our DC's as as we can get rid of all of the dust much easier, and far more safely, than they can

echnidna
11th September 2004, 10:33 AM
The absolute worst DC's you can get are the double (or more) bag setups as they just exhaust dirty air back into the workplace. But they are adequate if they are outside the workshop.

Grunt
11th September 2004, 12:38 PM
I think the neighbours might complain about carcinegenic dust particals being blown into their backyard or your backyard for that matter.

Barry_White
11th September 2004, 03:42 PM
Simplest solution is to move out into the bush.

If all you woodworkers sold you expensive homes in the city and moved to the bush not only would you overcome your dust problems you would have plenty of money to buy more tools and you would get rid of all your complaining neighbors.

MarkV
11th September 2004, 05:25 PM
I don't think that would be practical for most of em Bazz It could prove very difficult to get the right type of Coffee at Woolies and servicing of their Espresso machines would become a logistical nightmare.:eek:

echnidna
12th September 2004, 11:37 PM
and could they bear being too far from Bunnies..

vsquizz
13th September 2004, 12:01 AM
If I moved back to the bush I would have a good excuse for having rough hands and I could wear me Flanny shirts again.

bitingmidge
13th September 2004, 12:04 AM
Simplest solution is to move out into the bush.

If all you woodworkers sold you expensive homes in the city and moved to the bush not only would you overcome your dust problems you would have plenty of money to buy more tools and you would get rid of all your complaining neighbors.

1) Your dust problem would not ACTUALLY have been overcome, it's just that you wouldn't see it after it mixed with the bulldust.

2) I was reading on another thread not long ago, about how farmers were the world's leading exponents of the art of complaining...so I am not sure that would be a real solution.

3) Please don't encourage them all to leave the city Baz, I like it here at the beach without them (except on weekends when we go to the city to get away from the crowds)!!

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

barnsey
13th September 2004, 11:08 AM
Ain't that a beach :(
Bloody terrorists (how do you spell tourists) spoiling paradise for us locals :rolleyes:

vsquizz
13th September 2004, 11:22 AM
Umm now back to the original topic:D . Couldn't agree more Bob, I'm putting mine outside in a bit of a humpy to keep the weather off. Just got to make sure the southerly breeze can get at it. Can't see the point of having it inside if I don't have to.

Cheers

silentC
13th September 2004, 11:57 AM
Me too. As soon as I can get enough second hand flue pipe, mine's going outside under the front verandah. The prevailing wind should pick the dust up and suck it out to sea with all the poo. The tourists already complain about the algal bloom and have threatened not to come back next year. If they start coming out of the surf looking like crumbed veal cutlets, we might get rid of them altogether. Hooray!!!