PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 10 Sept 04

Ralph Jones
10th September 2004, 10:16 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Since no one chose to answer yesterdays quiz, I am assuming that you don't care for math quizzes. henceforth I shan't install any. NOT.

A farmer wants to build a corn crib with 16 sides with an inscribed diameter of 14' and 12' high. Now the quiz is how many bushel will the crib hold with a bushel holding 3.5 CU FT of corn per bushel.

Respectfully,

journeyman Mick
10th September 2004, 11:06 PM
Ralph,
I reckon your farmers must have too much time on their hands (must be all the subsidies they get!) if they have time to think about building their own silos, let alone 16 sided ones (hexdecahedron?). Over here farmers are usually too busy battling bush fires or floods, fixing fences or they're down at the pub whinging about the falling prices of ________ (insert whatever they're growing) and cheap foreign imports to be thinking about building 16 sided silos. As a matter of fact my head is hurting just thinking about all the mucking about a 16 sided silo would entail! :confused: Build it round I reckon, or better yet, buy one in and get the supplier to give you the specs for capacity etc. ;)

Mick the geometrically lazy :p

bitingmidge
11th September 2004, 07:52 AM
And with it being so dry here at the moment, I reckon the local Bushel Fire Brigade would have something to say about it as well.

:D
P

Ralph Jones
11th September 2004, 09:39 PM
Good Evening Friends,
I didn't know things in the land of OZ were in such terrible state, but just in case you are interested the crib would hold 535 bu. of corn.

Respectfully,