PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Peril Turnings

Pat
14th March 2010, 06:36 PM
Played with the Yellow Peril today . . .

Redgum Platter/Shallow Bowl . . . still not finished, more coats of DO to go.

Camphor Bowl, internal finished to 600, with EEE, 2 coats Glow and then a coat of cream for a good lustre. External finish to 240 and DO. Why? Because I was just experimenting . . . :;

DJ’s Timber
14th March 2010, 06:41 PM
The images look good, but can you repost some images at a bigger size, like 800 x 600 for example so that we can see them a bit better?

Pat
14th March 2010, 06:57 PM
DJ, unfortunately no. My computer is not behaving and all the USB ports have thrown a wobbler, so the only way for me to pics is for my wife to email them to me.

Sizes, Redgum is approx 380 - 400 and the Camphor is a tiny 260mm:;

artme
14th March 2010, 07:01 PM
I like what I see Pat. Nice platters both.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
14th March 2010, 07:02 PM
Can't you use the wifey's computer if yours is playing up, or would that be to much trouble :doh: :U

Pat
14th March 2010, 08:10 PM
Not too much problems, my wife even said that she'd put them in RAW format on disc for you. She even suggest a Lacquer finish on the platter, but I demurred as a I did not have any on hand, b I personally don't like the plastic look some lacquers get, c I like the finish the DO gives on a burl. Am I brave or am I stupid for not agreeing with my wife:U

DJ’s Timber
14th March 2010, 08:14 PM
I'm happy to accept a RAW format on a disc, that way I can post a great image on the forum for you :U

PM me for an address to send the disc to :H

Sawdust Maker
14th March 2010, 08:23 PM
Lookin good, Pat :2tsup:
I was going to comment on your piccy size as well but have been beaten to the punch

wheelinround
14th March 2010, 10:36 PM
Now Pat be honest Deb used the micro lens to photograph them :U

They look great like them both ou can always email the pics here and I can post them till your putters fixed:2tsup:

Ozkaban
15th March 2010, 10:02 AM
Love the redgum platter Pat. Camphor isn't bad either :cool:

Cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
15th March 2010, 11:54 AM
wow Pat, your turning seems to have improved since getting that Yellow Submarine:;:D

Rum Pig
15th March 2010, 02:28 PM
Nice very nice I like that red gum well done:2tsup::2tsup:

Tony Morton
15th March 2010, 03:32 PM
Hi Pat :2tsup:
Love the platers great stuff tha tred gum with its holes cracks etc I've done some jarrah with the same sort of grain you can get some interesting finishes with this kind of burl, just done one using the wests system casting resin with the filler and brass powder but next time more brass.

Cheers Tony

Texian
15th March 2010, 03:39 PM
Pat, Very nice work. Often good to listen carefully to advice from wife, judiciously weigh the alternatives, cogitate upon potential results, and then (usually) do what she said.

hughie
15th March 2010, 07:53 PM
Pat, Very nice work. Often good to listen carefully to advice from wife, judiciously weigh the alternatives, cogitate upon potential results, and then (usually) do what she said.
[/QUOTE]

are yes the balance of power................

Anyway Pa, well done I like them both. :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
15th March 2010, 08:12 PM
Pat, very pretty platters. Lovely work.
Ad

Pat
15th March 2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks for all the positive remarks. I am enjoying the difference between the old lathe and The Yellow Peril + having the new shed and the room to move without watching out for sleeping puppies (mostly, they don't like the dusty):U

I must say, I have retained some of the instruction from , Ken, Ern et al . at the Kiewa Turn on. Now to keep practicing:;

Paul39
16th March 2010, 11:22 AM
Beautiful platters. I like the silky smooth finish that DO gives. Sometimes I wonder how many hundred coats it will take, but eventually it gets there.

After seeing what my stuff will sell for, and how many hours it takes to make, and the 40% cut to the shop, a quick spray or two is tempting.

I have gotten reasonably good, now I need to get faster.