PDA

View Full Version : Jointer

maglite
11th September 2004, 01:21 AM
Some weeks ago i advertised on the buy, sell, swap, page a planer/thicknesser:(
To be perfectly honest i had no idea there was any difference between a jointer/planer/thicknesser :o
After a brief description,3 members replied and suggested that the machine in my possesion was indeed a jointer, not a planer/thicknesser, i didnt believe them for a minute.
Since that post i have veiwed numerous machines on the net and i must agree with mat,vsquizz and greglee that i do indeed own a jointer :eek:
Many humble apologies to the afore mentioned members.:o
Now that i know that i have a jointer......can someone please tell me what the true capabilities are of a machine like this as i have no idea.:confused:
Cheers
Steve

Gumby
11th September 2004, 09:01 AM
A jointer is the first step to getting timber true and square. With it's flat tables (infeed & outfeed) and a fence at 90 degrees, you plane a few mm off the bottom of the timber and the edge. Once you have a flat face, you then run it through a thicknesser with that face down, getting the top square and flat as well.

You also run timber edges over the jointer before butt joining them, making sure you have clean edges.

So, all in all, you need both a jointer AND a thicknesser to get your timber square.