PDA

View Full Version : Removing cement from bricks

Programmer
11th September 2004, 03:13 AM
Is there any less time-consuming way of removing thick deposits of cement from bricks other than via a hammer and chisel? I don't want to 'clean' them as such (with acids etc), just remove the major deposits of cement from the bricks. Any ideas appreciated.

DavidG
11th September 2004, 11:56 AM
Go to bunnings with $79 and buy the dynalink rotary hammer drill.
Take it home.
Get a long extension lead and plug the hammer drill in.
Insert the chisel bit.
Switch the drill to hammer only.
Apply chisel to the cement and switch on.
Watch the cement fly.
PS WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES 8-)

Marc
11th September 2004, 01:23 PM
Well the above is a possibility but...I have 2 bang bang drills to choose from but when I had to clean brick I chose to do it with the appropriate hand tool for the job. (not sure of its name) it looks like a funny long hammer and has a slot to fit in a sort of hardened "comb" that chisels away the mortar. Certainly a long process but less tiring than holding up 2 or 3 kilos of vibrating drill.

Next best solution to hand chiseling, is to hire a brick cleaner from Kennards. A breeze to use. Plug in, pick up brick, rub on little hammers on the machine, no more mortar.

Programmer
11th September 2004, 01:46 PM
Thanks to you both. It's an awful day in Melbourne so I might take a browse around Bunnies.

Cliff Rogers
11th September 2004, 05:47 PM
Tis called a bolster.
Try just using another brick...
wear gloves, pick a dodgy looking brick, & use it to knock & scrap the motar off the good bricks.

Barry_White
11th September 2004, 06:00 PM
Well the above is a possibility but...I have 2 bang bang drills to choose from but when I had to clean brick I chose to do it with the appropriate hand tool for the job. (not sure of its name) it looks like a funny long hammer and has a slot to fit in a sort of hardened "comb" that chisels away the mortar. Certainly a long process but less tiring than holding up 2 or 3 kilos of vibrating drill.

Next best solution to hand chiseling, is to hire a brick cleaner from Kennards. A breeze to use. Plug in, pick up brick, rub on little hammers on the machine, no more mortar.It is called a scutch hammer. And the combs are called scutch combs.

Cliff

A bolster is like a big wide cold chisel either 2 inches wide or 4 inches wide.

jow104
11th September 2004, 06:21 PM
If you can afford the water, those high pressure washers can do some damage, then you can perhaps clean up with the bolster.

Barry_White
11th September 2004, 06:31 PM
That will depend on whether it is lime mortor or cement mortor.

MarkV
11th September 2004, 07:04 PM
Just go and buy some new cement . It will be a lot easier.:D :D You can't recycle everything you know;)

Programmer
11th September 2004, 07:09 PM
Err, new cement? Whatever gave you the impression I want to recycle the cement?

Thanks again all. My fav c/chisel tends to work quicker than a bolster. Then again, my bolster work isn't to Olympic standard. I don't like the idea of h/pressure water, we certainly can't afford it here at present Woody.

IanA
11th September 2004, 07:49 PM
I have to assume it is lime mortar. If it's cement mortar you've bitten off more than you can chew. (Maybe chewing it off would work as well as anything else.)

I've used a tomahawk for this job in the past. Quicker than a hammer and bolster.

If the mortar is a bit stubborn just set that brick aside and come back to it later. You should be able to clean each brick with only a few chops, including the ends.

An el-cheapo tomahawk from the junk shop is fine for this job. Just re-shape it on the grinder when you need to improve the edge.

Two safety tips. Wear eye protection and keep your thumb out of the way.

Pat
11th September 2004, 09:05 PM
How about an angle grinder with a good quality masonry grinding disc. A lot quicker than hammer & chisel/bolster etc. Just wear a dusk mask and ear/eye protection.

vsquizz
11th September 2004, 09:57 PM
Go the brick cleaner from the hire place

rsser
12th September 2004, 07:49 AM
Like Pat says. I've done hundreds with an angle grinder; just takes a light touch coming in from the side.

scooter
12th September 2004, 03:00 PM
Nice one MarkV :p

Programmer, If you go the angle grinder for the stubborn ones, how about buying one of those $17 dollar ones from Bunnings instead of buggering up your good 'un; and use the cheapo diamond wheels.

Cheers...........Sean

Wombat2
17th February 2008, 09:48 PM
I hand cleaned 22,000 bricks with a tomahawk ( not the same one -wore out about a dozen or so) The old house they came from had an extension added at some time and they had used lime mortar - that was a bugger to get off but the original old stuff would come off in sheets with one blow when hit 'just right'

jags
18th February 2008, 04:55 PM
you can get different size hard wire brushes that fit onto an angle grinder they are ideal for this kind of job . though i do love my Ozito hammer drill which would also do the job ,
best of luck
rob

echnidna
18th February 2008, 05:18 PM
tomahawk works real well

Brickie
18th February 2008, 05:44 PM
A 4 year old thread, I assume the bricks would be well and truly clean by now..:p

echnidna
18th February 2008, 05:51 PM
:d

ian
18th February 2008, 08:30 PM
so the thread's 4 years old ...

if you have a lot, the "best" option may be to put them in a container and send them to East Timor
They need the work and you might be able to claim half the cost as "foreign aid"

GraemeCook
19th February 2008, 11:13 AM
Karcher, or similar high pressure water jet is far more efficient than any hand tool.

Bunnings had them on special near Christmas at little more than hire costs!

autogenous
29th February 2008, 06:32 PM
Is there any less time-consuming way of removing thick deposits of cement from bricks other than via a hammer and chisel? I don't want to 'clean' them as such (with acids etc), just remove the major deposits of cement from the bricks. Any ideas appreciated.

Do you have a picture MR OOP?

I sit face brick or you don't really care?

Really don't care, brick hammer or scutch hammer

Some small jack hammers are cheaper these days though.

Sounds like you have a mess Mr OOP