PDA

View Full Version : ToolKing in the USA

markharrison
17th March 2010, 01:29 PM
I've been trying for some time to get a hold of a low-profile riving knife for my Powermatic PM2000 from Jet Machinery via the dealer. It seems that Jet are not stocking this item here and I basically gave up trying to source it locally.

I did a quick search on Google and found ToolKing. (http://www.toolking.com/)Unlike many online tool stores (notable exceptions being Rockler and Woodcraft), they billed and shipped to me directly. Shipping was going to be too expensive for just a riving knife so I got another couple of goodies to go with it.http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/happy/biggrin.gif

Products were shipped last Friday (US time) and arrived this morning!

Also, if you are an Amazon customer, you can pay using your Amazon account so you don't have yet another vendor account to track.

What gives me the irrits, is that I had to send half way around the world for an item that should be carried as spares by the vendor.

Mr Brush
17th March 2010, 02:03 PM
Sorry to say, that seems to be par for the course with JET locally. I've had similar issues trying to get spares out of them. :((

That ToolKing site looks like a good find. Can I ask what methods they use for shipping to Australia? I've had very good experience with standard USPS from other US sites (very cost effective and fast for smaller items), but some US online stores will only ship here by Fedex or UPS.....:(

UPS costs much more, and definitely increases the chances of stuff getting lost IME.

Looking at all the tasty US voltage power tools (and prices) on that site is enough to make you want to go out and buy a big step-down transformer....:rolleyes:

markharrison
17th March 2010, 10:04 PM
I'm afraid it was UPS. I would have been happy with USPS as I have had good experience. UPS seem okay. Can't argue with three working days from Colorado!

I bought a 23 guage Porter-Cable pin nailer and nails as well. Only $69 for a factory reconditioned model.

I've thought the same thing many times about the step down transformer...

issatree
17th March 2010, 11:55 PM
Hi All,
Maybe I'm confused, as to why buy. Would it have been possible to have made one.
The ones I've seen in the past, & made of steel, had a bit of a curve towards the blade, & 2 slots at the bottom, to fit under 2 washered bolts. Or are these newer saws a bit different.
Regards,
issatree.

TP1
18th March 2010, 03:26 AM
I have just purchased one on Amazon on the off chance it will fit my saw. I had it shipped to my US forwarding agent and its on its way to me now.

TP1
18th March 2010, 03:45 AM
Sorry to say, that seems to be par for the course with JET locally. I've had similar issues trying to get spares out of them. :((

That ToolKing site looks like a good find. Can I ask what methods they use for shipping to Australia? I've had very good experience with standard USPS from other US sites (very cost effective and fast for smaller items), but some US online stores will only ship here by Fedex or UPS.....:(

UPS costs much more, and definitely increases the chances of stuff getting lost IME.

Looking at all the tasty US voltage power tools (and prices) on that site is enough to make you want to go out and buy a big step-down transformer....:rolleyes:

I have a big step down transformer and take advantage of the US prices. Apart from the odd Festool bargain, I recently bought a Bosch router with built in router lift for $176 - this thing is incredible IMHO and is not available in Australia. see:

Bosch Fixed-Base 2-1/4-hp Router 1617EVS - Fine Woodworking Tool Review (http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=5663)

I also bought a top notch Bosch belt sander with full sanding frame for $255. I heard these were supposed to be in Australia but couldn't find anyone who stocked them.

Amazon.com: Bosch 1274DVS 6.6 Amp 3-Inch by 21-Inch Variable Speed In-Line Belt Sander with Cloth Dust Bag: Industrial & Scientific

Bosch SA1051 Sanding Frame for 1274DVS Belt Sander (http://www.improvementdirect.com/bosch-sa1051-sanding-frame-for-1274dvs-belt-sander/p193215?source=amz_193215)

TP1
18th March 2010, 04:32 AM
I forgot to mention that we should not to forget the UK as a source of power tools either. They have 240v, the exchange rate is excellent at the moment and you should deduct VAT (17.5%) to calculate the final price.

I have found Axminster great to deal with when the numbers add up - their freight seems to be cheaper than from the USA as well.

Mr Brush
18th March 2010, 06:04 AM
There's a whole lot of really nice, compact fixed-base routers available in the US that we just don't get here :(. That Bosch is a nice unit - handy size for benchtop routing, more power than a typical trimmer, and a nice wide base for good stability.

TP1 - can I ask where you got your step-down transformer? If there is no weblink to it, what is it rated at on the output side (VA)?

Mark - UPS is generally competitive with USPS for heavier items (e.g. tools), but for smaller /lighter stuff I'd go with USPS if I had the choice. Thanks again for flagging the ToolKing site - their prices on Festool sanding discs look very good, and its certainly food for thought where power tools are concerned ! :2tsup:

Cheers

TP1
18th March 2010, 01:09 PM
TP1 - can I ask where you got your step-down transformer? If there is no weblink to it, what is it rated at on the output side (VA)?

I bought a number of transformers from Airlink in the UK for different purposes, but only now use the step down in my workshop. The unit I have is 6 KVA which is probably overkill but I was initially running powerful electronics from it. I would have thought that a 2KVA transformer would easily cope with any tools and I suspect that you could even get away with 1 KVA, because you will usually only be using one tool at a time.

AU06110 : 6kVA 230V / 110VStep up/step down autotransformer(Screw terminals) (http://www.airlinktransformers.com/transformer/au6110-6kva-stepup-stepdown-transformerbr-0-110-240-smallwall-mountable-hardwired-wit.asp)

Freight could be an issue but check with them first

If I was buying now purely for running US sourced tools I would probably go for this unit. It looks like its got the goods and the price is very competitive.

240V TO 110V STEPDOWN (STEP DOWN) TRANSFORMER 2000W NEW - eBay, Other Accessories, Accessories, Electronics. (end time 22-Mar-10 21:36:28 AEDST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/240V-TO-110V-STEPDOWN-STEP-DOWN-TRANSFORMER-2000W-NEW_W0QQitemZ180481516292QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item2a05896304#ht_1627wt_1167)

Wongdai
18th March 2010, 01:28 PM
Nice one TP1. I think you just found my next purchase! :)

TP1
18th March 2010, 01:56 PM
Actually I think I may get one too - The downside of my big heavy unit is that it restricts portability. This one looks great!

Mr Brush
18th March 2010, 04:51 PM
TP1 - many thanks for the info on transformers. :2tsup:

That second one, or something that size, would be perfect. Move it around to where the tool is being used, and I'd only ever use one handtool at a time with the transformer.

When you see some of the powertool products (and prices) that they get in the US, the cost of a suitable transformer is incidental. You'd save that much with the first tool purchase.

Cheers

metester
19th June 2010, 07:36 PM
I have just purchased a Porter Cable 23g Air Pin Nailer and pins from ToolKing. I ordered it on Monday and it arrived on Friday. Extremely happy. :2tsup:

Chief Tiff
19th June 2010, 07:45 PM
For those considering purchasing power tools from the UK, as well as Axminster there is an online firm called Screwfix. They cater very heavilly for the building trade and their range of cabinet fittings is phenominal. Most of their Dewalt and Makita tools are available in both 240 and 115 volts (building site tools in the UK are required to be 115V) and they sell the step down transformers.

Have a good browse through their catalogue, you'll find many, many things that aren't available in Oz.