PDA

View Full Version : A new (old) lathe for our shed.

Avery
17th March 2010, 04:57 PM
Donated to The Hills Mens Shed. A South Bend lathe (circa 1945) with lots of extras.

We carted it in yesterday with much sweating, straining and just a little swearing.

A real beauty.

19brendan81
18th March 2010, 02:03 PM
Looks pretty flash!

Dave J
18th March 2010, 07:38 PM
What a nice donation, you would have to be happy with that.
I really like the timber draw for the collets, nice range of them too:2tsup:
Dave

Avery
18th March 2010, 08:04 PM
What a nice donation, you would have to be happy with that.
I really like the timber draw for the collets, nice range of them too:2tsup:
Dave

The collets range from 3/32 to 1" in 1/32 increments - I keep telling the blokes that it is no good because we won't be able to turn metric stuff. Some of them believed me , for a moment.

Avery
18th March 2010, 08:08 PM
Looks pretty flash!

We reckon it's pretty flash.

It is unbelievable ( not really I guess) how many blokes have just stood and looked at it over the past couple of days - turned the wheels, ran hands over the bed, checked the oiling points etc, etc.

Now all we need is some 3 phase power to run it up. Soon, soon.

Graziano
22nd March 2010, 12:04 AM
We reckon it's pretty flash.

It is unbelievable ( not really I guess) how many blokes have just stood and looked at it over the past couple of days - turned the wheels, ran hands over the bed, checked the oiling points etc, etc.

Now all we need is some 3 phase power to run it up. Soon, soon.

It might be a lot easier and cheaper to buy an Ebay single phase to three phase variable speed drive if the motor can be reconfigured to run at 230V three phase which is what American three phase voltage is. There are plenty of online articles about motor voltage reconfiguring, worst case you buy a modern one off ebay too.

Last I heard the electricity authority in Qld wanted well over $2000 to connect three phase and then the electrician has to go to work installing wiring on top of that.