PDA

View Full Version : Ducting Efficiency

Grunt
11th September 2004, 03:27 PM
I've got my dust collection ducting but I'm having problems with it's efficiency. Does anyone know what could be wrong? I don't seem to be getting any suction happening. The pictures don't show it but I've got duct tape.

http://www.users.on.net/~gril/Ducting1.jpg

http://www.users.on.net/~gril/Ducting3.jpg

http://www.users.on.net/~gril/Ducting2.jpg

Sturdee
11th September 2004, 04:27 PM
Grunt,

You have to take the fittings out of the bag and lift the pipes of the ground and then connect them between your machines.
You may have to cut the pipes and install some blast gates. Then seal the joints with duct tape.:D :D :D

Peter.

Sir Stinkalot
11th September 2004, 05:21 PM
Hang on a minute .... I see dust in the bag .... what is wrong with the system?

MarkV
11th September 2004, 05:56 PM
I think he needs more elbows. There is still room in the bag;)

bitingmidge
11th September 2004, 06:37 PM
Abolutely no idea I'm afraid.

I cut my pipe into little pieces to try to find the problem. Perhaps you could try that and get back?

Cheers,

P
:D

Gumby
11th September 2004, 06:41 PM
Looks fine to me. have you plugged it in ? :D

ozwinner
11th September 2004, 06:48 PM
It wont work because you have got pipe, and you need dust pipe!!

Al :)

MarkV
11th September 2004, 07:11 PM
It could be worse it could be Hezbollah pipe it usually comes fitted with explosives :eek:

ernknot
11th September 2004, 07:51 PM
Switch the bugger on!!!

MajorPanic
11th September 2004, 07:55 PM
What size piping are you using? Is it 5" or 6"??

vsquizz
11th September 2004, 10:29 PM
Grunt, you got the title wrong and therefore attracted the wrong goofers. It should have been "plumbing efficiency" posted in the Home Reno forum. Then you would have got all these Dust Collections experts come along de-rail the thread and tell you how to efficiently convert the plumbing into a dust collection system for your shed. Its very logical really:D

Cheers

Grunt
11th September 2004, 11:53 PM
Thanks for your replies,

You have to take the fittings out of the bag and lift the pipes of the ground and then connect them between your machines.
You may have to cut the pipes and install some blast gates. Then seal the joints with duct tape.:D :D :D
Sounds like a lot of work. Are you sure?

Hang on a minute .... I see dust in the bag .... what is wrong with the system?
I put that in thinking that it might need a prime.

Abolutely no idea I'm afraid.

I cut my pipe into little pieces to try to find the problem. Perhaps you could try that and get back?

Cheers,

P
I'll cut it up into small bits tomorrow and see what happens.

I think he needs more elbows. There is still room in the bag;)
I've got another 3 elbows that aren't in the picture. You think that's enough?

Switch the bugger on!!!
Tried that. It made noise but no suck.

I'm a little disappointed, especially after getting all that pretty blue flexible ducting.

Grunt

barnsey
13th September 2004, 11:54 AM
Grunt,
How many blast gates do you have in the system?
How many suck points are you wanting at once?

Jamie

Grunt
13th September 2004, 01:40 PM
4 & 1

Termite
13th September 2004, 01:48 PM
You've heard the expression "like a rat up a pipe", well you either have a rat stuck up the pipe or you need to send one up to see whats going on. :D :D
Words of wisdom
from
Termite

Grunt
13th September 2004, 01:51 PM
Maybe I could talk to Gemi, she seems to have a supply of rats.

bitingmidge
13th September 2004, 02:02 PM
4 & 1
I think I see where I have gone wrong. With only 4 gates, I reckon I could have finished sometime last century.

P
:cool:

barnsey
13th September 2004, 02:21 PM
So at the expense of all the comedians -
You should have suction at the machine??
Check all the blast gates for suction.
Then the outlets one by one.
As a matter of interest I've found even with a 2hp blower you can suck a piece of sand paper into it and the bloody thing will sit across the inlet instead of going through it, especially if you have bowl gouge shavings that seem to turn into wire wool at the inlet - it will sit there till you dislodge them with your fingers - good idea to turn the finger mincer off first though :D

Similarly if you only have soft ducting or tight curves you will find that such shavings may get caught - my worst was the burnishing shellawax rag went down the shute only to get caught at a blast gate with a raggedy edge - so anything's possible - just get to know your system and eventually you will work out it's idiosynchricies (How do you spell that word?)

Jamie

ernknot
13th September 2004, 02:28 PM
barnsey is right, either you have a blockage or you are you are sucking air in from some other location which is not the station you think.
ernknot

bitingmidge
13th September 2004, 02:49 PM
We comedians are just taking notes!

:D :D :D
P

barnsey
13th September 2004, 02:56 PM
P

Go and catch a hand full of midges for us will you and tell us what a handfull weighs. That way we'll have another meaningless piece information but will astound the drunks around the campfire :D

Termite
13th September 2004, 02:56 PM
Orright! Enough is enough! Whoever's got Grunts Suck give it back NOW!

Grunt
13th September 2004, 02:57 PM
I actually suspect my problem might be due to leakage. If you have a look at the pictures you might notice there are a few places where leaks could occur.

Grunt

barnsey
13th September 2004, 03:08 PM
OK - LMAO :D
Grunt

The point of my post was that you need to go to the source of the suction and work forward to the equipment with each blast gate shut except for the one you are testing. These 2hp machines won't do more than one at a time. ;)

Termite - Still LMAO :D
You are a sick individual but I know cos I am one - must have a beer one day if you're down this way :D

bitingmidge
13th September 2004, 03:57 PM
P

Go and catch a hand full of midges for us will you and tell us what a handfull weighs. That way we'll have another meaningless piece information but will astound the drunks around the campfire :D

Only place the midges are slow enough to actually catch would be Tweed Heads I reckon!
:D :D :D

No offence: I've made notes of your advice for whenever I fire up my machine connected to its ducts; with it's 2 hp I really do have some concerrns, but they may be unfounded.

Grunt: when you connect up 'em, what is the length of the longest duct, and how many bends and stuff are you going to have on it?

I have really tried all those design sites, and ended up just putting in pipe that was long enough to reach each machine, which made sense at the time! If it doesn't work, I'll have to upgrade the sucker I guess.

Cheers,

P

echnidna
13th September 2004, 04:28 PM
Reckon its working real good as it sucked a lot of comments outa you lot!!!!

Grunt
13th September 2004, 05:17 PM
Grunt: when you connect up 'em, what is the length of the longest duct, and how many bends and stuff are you going to have on it?

Midge,

I've attached a rough diagram of my shop.

I haven't decided where to put the DC & Cyclone yet. My perferred posy is DC1 but that means I'll have a duct length of 6 metres to the SCMS and a bend plus another 3 metres + a lenth of flexible hose down to a blast gate and another wye to the table saw.

Option 2 is to have the DC & Cyclone at DC 2. This will reduce the length of the ducting to the table saw but makes the connection to the SCMS a little tricky.

Option 3 is to have the DC & Cyclone outside which I suppose is best but I need to talk Mrs Grunt into letting put up a structure to house it in one of the garden beds.

I tried to do this diagram in Visio but ended up getting frustrated with its limitations. I've just bought DesignCAD 3D Max which I'm learning. I might design my workshop in that and see how I go. A 3D view of the workshop might be nifty.

This is the main reason all of the ducting and connectors are sitting on the floor.

Grunt

echnidna
13th September 2004, 05:44 PM
If you stick your pipe fittings together with 3 self tappers in each fitting and wrap the joins with duct tape you can reorganise your duct layout when you need to instead of having a glued up system. After sticking the self tappers in, remove them and grind them down so they dont stick through the inside of the ducts.

echnidna
13th September 2004, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't worry overly about the length of run to a SCMS as they dont produce as much dust as the bigger tools.

Sturdee
13th September 2004, 07:29 PM
Option 3 is the best position. Shorter run than option 1 and the noise is reduced and any fine dust that escapes is blown away in the wind.

Put a switch inside and you can turn it on/of easily.

Peter.

Marc
13th September 2004, 08:43 PM
I am not sure if this is a real thread or a comic one but I will risk a response. :rolleyes:

Dismantle the pipes and check the suction at the fan, add one section and check again, keep on going until you hit the problem.
If the suction drops gradually, I'm afraid your fan is too small for the pipe section and the number of inlets.
Did you check if the motor shaft is fixed properly to the fan, it may be spinning and not propelling the fan....

echnidna
13th September 2004, 08:46 PM
You just sucked another one in Grunt

Grunt
13th September 2004, 09:00 PM
You just sucked another one in Grunt

I wished my DC worked so well! :D:D:D