PDA

View Full Version : vice

al2
12th September 2004, 04:04 AM
Anyone used Carbatec's "gentle jaws" on a metalwork vice for woodworking? Or should I get a dedicated woodwork vice. Though I could perhaps "kill 2 birds with one stone by using a metalwork vice, besides they are much cheaper and looks stronger as well

bitingmidge
12th September 2004, 07:31 AM
I have a couple of lengths of Meranti "external angle mould" which I use with a bit of double sided tape to just drop over the jaws. Don't know if you can still get it even...but it is easy enough to make your own.

Just a bit of pine and a bit of ply to form an "L" would do.

I also have a couple of aluminium angles which I use for the same purpose.

Cheers,

P

craigb
12th September 2004, 10:42 AM
I have the gentle jaws, but I only use them on my drill press vice.

They seem to work o.k. and don't mark the wood.

I'd go with a woodwork vice for bench work though.

derekcohen
12th September 2004, 12:27 PM
Craig is right. This set up is fine for metal work or the drill press, but it has minimal wood holding capability. Get a Chinese knock-off of the Record vices from Carba-tec (about $60-$90).

Regards from Perth

Derek

outback
12th September 2004, 12:28 PM
As I already had an engineers vice when I started mucking around with wood I bought a set. They worked fine until i decided which woodwork vice to buy. Theys eem to hang on Ok, don't mark the wood or anything.

If I started again I would do as midge sugested and use some pine in an "L" shape, and glue one or more magnets, depending on what's available to the back. Just make sure you have a suitable recess so they sit flush.