PDA

View Full Version : Working with limitations

johnjf0622
24th March 2010, 12:24 AM
G'day everyone
I would like to know how some of you get around any physical limitations you may have to deal with.
I herniated disk when I worked with the railroad here in the US. They are not able to do much for it for where the injury is (thoracic spine), I would have to lose feeling to the lower extremities for them to even think about opening me up. Needless to say I dont waant to be cut open as it is. So it is dealing with it and trying to enjoy woodworking still.
I have begun to mount bench top tools onto benches that I can roll out of the way in stead of having to lift off a shelf and return to shelf when done. Lifting sheet goods are not happening unless I have someone to help. At 42 years old it is not a happy thing to deal with.
So lets hear from you all about what you had to do to still be able to do woodworking with your limitations. I am thinking ideas can be shared and could help someone else figure out a way to get past something that could be holding them back also.

John

wheelinround
24th March 2010, 08:43 AM
John not good but then again your still doing it well done. Heavy stuff is out for me I have a helping hand in my wife but there are even limits there. Down sizing your projects would be a good thing to consider there is lots that can be done in small scale work.

Ray

davidurquhart
12th April 2010, 03:06 AM
Hi guys
I like that idea of rolling work aside - smart!
I survived a motorccle accident but I have some pain, endurance, motivation issues to contend with. With some heavy work in my yard I hired a labourer to do digging etc for me and ended up meeting some great guys who I'm still friends with!
Anyway the comment about down-scaling work reminded me of a book I found recently about making mechanical marvels in wood. see http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/188-3414244-6711244?a=0806973587

wheelinround
13th April 2010, 09:01 AM
Hi guys
I like that idea of rolling work aside - smart!
I survived a motorccle accident but I have some pain, endurance, motivation issues to contend with. With some heavy work in my yard I hired a labourer to do digging etc for me and ended up meeting some great guys who I'm still friends with!
Anyway the comment about down-scaling work reminded me of a book I found recently about making mechanical marvels in wood. see Making Mechanical Marvels In Wood:Amazon:Books (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/188-3414244-6711244?a=0806973587)

Hi David

Your plight is not alone here many of us suffer similar issues with pain ,motivation, lack of funds LOL.

Its a good book I have it on the shelf yet to make anything from it, a great Mod off this forum passed it onto me Thanks Watson :2tsup:

So did you buy the book??

Ray

Howard Van Huis
25th April 2010, 11:20 AM
I understand where your coming from. I worked in the auto body and frame repair for 30 some years, and My back gave out. Got a blood clot in the right leg that they are unable to dissolve, and on top of that, I got a virus in My heart that is keeping me going slow. My arms, legs, and hand mussels are very week. I am 64, but it is a real burden to be halted from working. I live on pills for pain and have injections every 6 weeks. Despite that, I am finishing a 2000 ft addition with the help of My wife, My Daughter, and some help from the fellas in My Church. I am looking forward to getting back into My shop, and doing a little woodwork. A friend who I talk with said this to Me " We all go through hardship in our lives, but You are alive!" I thought about that, and I am able to live, See My grand children, one of which is going to be a Youth Pastor, Life may be hard, but I am still able to live it. That is My strength. My Wife, and Daughter have learned to lay linoleum, and lay flooring, and stain it. It looks great, and I think it is awesome to see what they can do!:)

davidurquhart
25th April 2010, 09:05 PM
Hi Howard
Would be cool to see some pics of your project. My 15 year old daughter has accused me of trying to make her into a son!
I think your profile says you're in Michigan - do you ever see Australian timber over there? I've seen North American cherry, a little Douglas Fir, and some other yellow lumber whose name escapes me (both first cut and plantation) in timber yards here.
Dave

Howard Van Huis
25th April 2010, 11:27 PM
I did take a one picture of the floor, yesterday. Need to get then on the computer and I will. Would like to try to look up pics of the remodel and post! It's been a several year long affair. :B

Howard Van Huis
28th April 2010, 09:46 AM
135812 Actually, This is a pic of Me laying our flooring. No, I don't think that We can buy it except for you premier timber. I can tell You that We are getting sub standard plywood from someware, It will delaminate. I uploaded the pics, but can not dind them anywhere !