PDA

View Full Version : Repairing dodgy driveway

Scooterscum
13th September 2004, 12:03 PM
Is there a correct way of repairing the following problem without tearing up the whole driveway?
The drive way was put in about 2 years ago before we bought the place.
On one section the mesh has obviously been laid too close to the edge. Over the last 2 years there is about 5mm of the ends of the mesh that have appeared which is now rusting and spalling(?) the concrete.
Is it just a matter of cutting out the affected area, cutting the mesh back and re concreting??
Any help or advise greatly appreciated.
Regards Simon

johnc
13th September 2004, 10:31 PM
It is a bit hard trying to second guess your problem, but clearly a bit of concrete cancer seems to be the issue. You most likely have a mix of moisture, and air causing the rio to rust and expand. Your problem could be acelerated by a porous mix near the edge with a few to many air pockets and cutting back the affected area may minimise the problem of penetration but you will need to pin or dowell any join and even then you will have some movement on the join with the effect of heat and traffic. Don't make any patch too narrow as it will simply break away with traffic and I would suggest you at least get a concretor in to have a look at the job and give an opinion as to what may be required. Your problem could be simply that the rio was too rusty to begin with and a little bit of edge poisture was the last straw, the possiblities are varied. I guess this will be followed by any number of suggestions so good luck with the outcome.

journeyman Mick
13th September 2004, 10:51 PM
Simon,
go and talk to the guys at Dadsons (Sheridan St. Cairns North) I know that the port authority has guys spraying a solution on the concrete of the wharves which is meant to stop the steel rusting and spalling the concrete. I don't know if it would work in your situation but it's worth asking them for advice anyway.

Mick

Scooterscum
15th September 2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
Had a concreter have a look at it yesterday arvo (pinched him from next door neighbours whilst he was doing a shed slab!)
His opinion is that the mesh was laid too close to the edge. It is on a section of the driveway that angles and he says the guy doing the job was just too lazy/slack/rough etc to cut the mesh at the right angle before pouring.
He recomended what you suggested. Cut back affected area (including mesh), paint some rust sealer on the ends of the cut mesh, and re pour concrete making sure it's pinned properly to the original bit (as you mentioned)
The rain clouds are building up so will have to tackle it in a few days (weeks!!) time.
Thanks again for your help and advice
Regards Simon