PDA

View Full Version : I got bored...

cultana
26th March 2010, 12:42 PM
Well with many apologies to the excellent and brilliant turners about here, yes I got bored and did a few horrid things..
Ok it was late about 9 pm so I hope that excuses the rashness on my part..

Well first I decided I would have a quick test to see how some am rest for a chair would have looked if I had turned them as a tapered oval. So I grabbed a piece of junk wood and knocked one up. Actually as a concept for the particular chair it would have been a good idea. Just a few minor adjustments to the measurements and timber, ie not a piece of old pine tree branch.
I made it a bit longer than necessary as I wanted to end rounded.
Well after finishing the arm rest a black thought passed through my mind and yes HER got made..:rolleyes:

No SHWBO was not impressed with the modifications:D

Last night it was time to escape from the selection of programs/movies on the TV.
This lead to THING being created.. :oo:

Horrible piece of wood actually as it had a lot of internal splits and separations. Again old pine tree extract. I ended up with 2 oval turns at 90 degrees to each other, lots of flying splinters from the cracked timber and a totally useless piece of work. Well not totally useless as it did stop me from pointing out all the inconsistencies in the film the CO was watching.

I just hope this is no indication I am being addicted to turning.. :o

Also apologies for the standard of work, I have only been playing with turning for about 3 months.

artme
26th March 2010, 01:18 PM
You hope WHAT????:D:D

RETIRED
26th March 2010, 03:21 PM
Definitely sucked in to the vortex.

That is the best way to practice. Doodle on scrap timber.:D

Ozkaban
26th March 2010, 03:51 PM
that sort of thing is always fun. Like what you did with the shavings as hair. Those sorts of ideas never seem to come up before 9pm :U

Like the concept of the oval turning on two axis. Now to find an application for it :2tsup:

Oh, and I don't think it means you're becomming addicted. You're waaaay past that stage :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
26th March 2010, 07:31 PM
Corr
I'm jealous - I've never thought to use my shavings in such a fashion

I'm strange as well
I like to grab a hunk of wood and turn it down to next to nuthing - great fun :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
27th March 2010, 12:21 PM
:laughing1:What Artme said, cultana :D:D

cultana
27th March 2010, 05:12 PM
Oh woe!! I seem to have been fallen into the vortex of woodturning if I listen to all here..:(
That means chasing the council tree cutting team, snatching cut branches and other bits from them as the wood falls from their chain saws, grabbing timber form dark alleys, turning wood into weird shapes..
Buying more chisels, collapsing into bowl making, pepper grinders and who know what other forms of strange timber products and shapes..
I see it now, scuttling down to the shed late at night to turn a bit of wood into some strange shape.:oo:

Now if the particular person who has just returned from his South American holiday had explained all these side issues I possibly would not have fallen so far.. :doh:
I am doomed.. :C

rsser
27th March 2010, 06:20 PM
(Insert knowing sigh here ) .... downward spiral mate.

Full marks for playing with what's to hand though, and trying out ideas.

There's lots of free wood out there and dreaming up things to do with it involves no harm to animals or people and keeps carbon locked up ;-}

Sawdust Maker
27th March 2010, 07:58 PM
(Insert knowing sigh here ) .... downward spiral mate.

Full marks for playing with what's to hand though, and trying out ideas.

There's lots of free wood out there and dreaming up things to do with it involves no harm to animals or people and keeps carbon locked up ;-}

Do the shavings/curlies/dust keep the carbon locked up
what is it is mulched?

rsser
27th March 2010, 09:48 PM
Dunno what happens to the carbon when the stuff rots down Nick.

cultana
28th March 2010, 05:38 PM
Do the shavings/curlies/dust keep the carbon locked up
what is it is mulched?

Not a big worry for me it ends up with all the horse manure from my stables and goes back into the ground for planting more trees. So it sort of goes back into the tree.