PDA

View Full Version : Sufrace Grinders

rod1949
13th September 2004, 04:15 PM
I see there has been a bit of discusion about individuals sharpening planner/thicknesser blades and potential problems. can those who have commented (and others) advise if the blades were sharpened using a normal Bench Grinder or a Surface Grinder?

I have recently bought a 15" thicknesser and bluntened the blades over the weekend whilst dressing several very well seasoned jarrah planks. As keeping the blades sharp will now become a regular requirement, I am condemplating buying a Surface grinder. The Sherwood is the current preference. You comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rod Watson

Termite
13th September 2004, 04:37 PM
Rod, I'm currently saving the pennys for the same machine.

vsquizz
14th September 2004, 12:13 AM
Rod, generally not on a bench grinder, but there are some jigs available, none that I know of being able to do 15" blades accuratley.

The term "surface grinder" is bantered around a bit but generally refers to a magnetic table machine which holds the object to be ground beneath an overhead liquid cooled grinding wheel. The table moves backward and forward whilst edging sideways after each skim. Generally about a $65 to $100K machine.

Professional sharpeners often use what is called a cylindrical grinder. This is a bit like a really big bench grinder but with a milling machine type travelling cross slide for pinpoint accuracy. Also gives a slight hollow grind depending on the wheel size.

The Sherwood is a simple adaptation on the more traditional grinding stone and should be good as long as it runs or can be made to run true/consistently.

Some useless information for you but if talking "surface grinder" to a machinist he may be visualising something a bit different to what you are.:D

Cheers