PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 13 Sept 04

Ralph Jones
13th September 2004, 09:52 PM
Good Evening Friends,
When joining two or more boards that are more than 90º, lets say 120º,
How would you hold them till they dry and also what angle would you cut them to mate up at the joint?

Respectfully,

ozwinner
13th September 2004, 09:59 PM
Well, seeing as how timber dries at the rate of 1" thickness per year, I would hold them loosley at the start 'cause I dont think they would notice.

Then as the year progressed I would get a realy good grip on them, just in case the wood looked, and caught me out.

Al :o

bitingmidge
13th September 2004, 11:40 PM
Well, seeing as how timber dries at the rate of 1" thickness per year, I would hold them loosley at the start 'cause I dont think they would notice.

Then as the year progressed I would get a realy good grip on them, just in case the wood looked, and caught me out.

Al :o

He's BaaaAAAAK!! :D

P

Wood Borer
14th September 2004, 09:16 AM
Cutting angle is half the internal angle in this case the internal angle is 120 degrees so the cutting angle is 60 degrees.

Clamping would depend on the work and could vary from nails to a jig but perhaps corner blocks are part of the design which would greatly assist. I would tend towards a jig but I am an amateur where pleasure doing woodwork is important and the time it takes is not as important.

Ralph Jones
14th September 2004, 10:09 PM
Good Evening Wood Borer,
Good Answer and the best method would be to cut both board on a 30º angle and secure the flat board down to the shop table or horses and slip a board under the angled board with wedges to hold it at the correct angle and then secure in place till the glue dries. Good Job.

Respectfully,