PDA

View Full Version : turned ash tray?

nz_carver
29th March 2010, 05:53 PM
hay all got asked today if I can turn a ash tray for some one :?

so Im trying to work out woods and finishs
If you can give me some tips be gr8:2tsup:

thanks nz_carver

tea lady
29th March 2010, 06:10 PM
:? I dunno! Wouldn't a wood ash tray be in danger of setting alight? :doh:

nz_carver
29th March 2010, 06:31 PM
yeah thats what I was thinking:?
but its for a cigar smoker he wants a wood one:doh:
have have been looking on the net to get some sort of idear

thinking turn the outside shell and use some sort of dish to hold the ash

Enfield Guy
29th March 2010, 08:09 PM
What about Terpintine, I think I remember reading that it is very difficult to burn.

DJ’s Timber
29th March 2010, 08:21 PM
Just use a good hard dense timber, like Turpentine, Ironwood, Ironbark,etc, it'll never burn, even something like Sydney Bluegum will do the job.

It'll get blackened, but that'll be about it.

Christian467
29th March 2010, 10:46 PM
Think about pipes, Briar etc, they would probably be ideal for an ashtray?

Chris

DavidG
29th March 2010, 11:23 PM
I have used red gum (E. blakelyi) before. It is hard to burn with the temperatures of cigarettes and cigars.
Darkens but that is all.
Any good hard wood will do but some burn less readily.

artme
30th March 2010, 08:41 AM
Go traditional. Those things were always turned from MULGA!!!!:D:p

Rum Pig
30th March 2010, 09:07 AM
I agree with most people. A good hard wood should not burn but will blacken and I would not use a finish on the inside for the same reason. I have seen many wood ashtrays so it can be done.

Good luck:2tsup:

Texian
30th March 2010, 02:53 PM
There is a fellow in the U.S. who makes, or has made, segmented ash trays for cigar smokers. Been a year or two since his last post, but apparently it was a profitable venture at the time. It would seem that the probability of wood ignition by a cigar or cigar ashes is very small.

cultana
30th March 2010, 03:17 PM
Think about pipes, Briar etc, they would probably be ideal for an ashtray?

Chris

:rotfl:

Pipe timber is supposed to char, (burn). That is why pipe smokers take ages to break in a new pipe.

rsser
30th March 2010, 04:23 PM
Pipe wood is traditionally made from briar root, which is v. dense and stable. A good pipe is ready to go out of the box.

A cigar tip should never be rested in an ash tray; it will encourage it to go out, and a relit cigar is puke. So a cigar ashtray should have a decent cove in the rim to allow both ends to stay free.

It's only when stubbing out that wood type might be an issue, but frankly when smoked down the stoogie can just be rested in the cove and it will go out by itself.

As for finishes, nothing in the bowl section and something that will dry neutral on the rim; any of the DO's should be OK.

NZcarver, feel free to send me over a prototype to test. I have two Father's day Churchills saved up for a special occasion ;-}

Christian467
30th March 2010, 07:06 PM
:rotfl:

Pipe timber is supposed to char, (burn). That is why pipe smokers take ages to break in a new pipe.

:B Fair point there Sir. Consider me suitably abashed.:doh:

Texian
1st April 2010, 04:00 PM
hay all got asked today if I can turn a ash tray for some

Check out Bill Wyko's site at www.humidorminister.com (http://www.humidorminister.com). Tried to repost one of his pictures but did not work.

Pat
1st April 2010, 07:46 PM
Dave, I have carved an ashtray out of a lump of Ironbark. I finished all but the bowl and rebate for the cigar, with Trad wax. As said above, any of the harder timbers are good to use.