PDA

View Full Version : New house, so new shed

BobR
29th March 2010, 08:51 PM
Having escaped from Sydney we purchased a new house near Laurieton in the NSW mid north coast. This occurred last December, so as soon as the silly season was over a Ranbuild 6 x 7 shed with a 2m awning was ordered. Assembly finished today.

The first two photographs show the land being prepared for the slab. A terrace already existed but had to be widened with a new retaining wall constructed.

The next two images are of the form work for the slab and the slab being finished. As soon as it was poured I realised that the shed should have been 6 x 9. But then again, I am sure that if it was I would want a 6 x 11.

Following these images are day 1 and day 2 of the construction.

The final three images are of the "finished"shed. the plumber should arrive tomorrow to connect the guttering to the water tank and the overflow into the storm water.

All going well the foil board insulation should be delivered tomorrow. This is to line all walls. The roof insulation was installed during construction. My intention is the line the shed with 19mm yellow tongue. I am also waiting for quotes for the electrical.

I will post more images as work progresses.

Wongo
29th March 2010, 09:13 PM
I am jealous. Enjoy it Bob.

DJ’s Timber
29th March 2010, 09:17 PM
Looking good Bob :H

Argh yes the old prob of yeah it's just not big enough :doh:

Got two sheds now and it's still not enough, will be erecting a third shed soon, which I'm picking up from my Uncle's farm in exchange for milling some new rails for the cattleyard. It'll be an open shed but it'll be good as it will cover a lot off stuff that I can get out of the other sheds to create more room :;

BobR
29th March 2010, 09:25 PM
Sure will Scott. DJ, no matter how small it is I can't see me going to three sheds - you win! :U

artme
29th March 2010, 10:01 PM
Lot's of fun to be had there Bob!! Enjoy!!:):):)

Waldo
29th March 2010, 11:14 PM
Knowing Laurieton a little, that's a real change. But if it gets a big shed where the nose doesn't matter. 2 x :2tsup:

Christos
30th March 2010, 02:24 AM
Wow that looks amazing.

RufflyRustic
30th March 2010, 09:38 AM
Love the woodport out the front of the shed. I always wanted one but the council man misled me but that's another story:rolleyes:. Go the wall insulation and lining! I reckon you will never regret that :2tsup::)

BobR
30th March 2010, 10:18 AM
Hi Wendy. If you look at the fifth photo, up against the fence is the wood rack. Still to be finished. the spare colorbond sheets will be used for a top cover, the ends will have shade cloth, and the front and back will be protected by the fence and shed wall. Just before use, the timber will be moved into the shop racks.

RufflyRustic
30th March 2010, 09:54 PM
so no cars in the carport then:?:D

Sounds like you've had a lot of fun planning your shed and timber storage:U

BobR
31st March 2010, 10:33 PM
Finished installing the insulation on the walls today. Can't do anything else until the final is given on the shed. This is being held up by the plumber who has to connect the water tank to the stormwater drain. After that, get the electrical wiring run before cladding over the insulation.

Harry72
1st April 2010, 01:45 AM
Nice little shed you got going there Bob, cant wait to see the finished pic's after you fit it out:D

Sawdust Maker
15th April 2010, 08:44 PM
Looks good
And yes I am so jealous, soooo much room :C
I was wondering whether it is worth running the 4" pipe for the dusty between the shed wall and the lining?

BobR
15th April 2010, 10:54 PM
Nick, there would not be enough room to run 4" pipe behind the wall cladding.

I will post some pics tomorrow showing the current progress. The electricians finished yesterday. Now have 10 double power points around the walls, one hanging power point over where the main workbench will be. There is also another roof mounted power point for the dust filter. Had two external power points fitted - one at each end. All of this runs off of a subpanel.

The interior lighting consists of three rows of three dual fluros; each row being independantly switched. There is also a light under the awning.

I have started to cover the wall insulation with yellow tongue. Should finish this in the next couple of days. Would be quicker but have my 10 year old Grandson here for the week. I plan to paint the walls with an off white semigloss to ensure better reflected light.

BobR
16th April 2010, 11:10 PM
Here are a couple of photos taken at night with the new lights only. I find that with the construction work taking place at the moment I don't need all lights on at the same time. I have almost finished fixing the yellow tongue to the walls. As soon as this is done I will start painting, then the rest of the "toys"can come in from the garage. I will post more photos as things progress.

Pops
17th April 2010, 01:05 PM
Hi Bob,

Great looking shed. Should get prety good thermal insulation with the tin, insulation and yellow tongue on the walls. Not to mention sound proofing. Ripper. My shed is only about 10 feet wide and am thinking of a land grab in the backyard, bigger shed, hmmm. :)

I reckon you will be surprised by the improvement of painting the walls white. I did on my shed and wow, what a difference. Even the light coming through the window gives enough light to avoid turning on a fluoro.

The other thing I find really useful is an undercover awning. A mate has one on his shed, 6 metres long and he spends more time outside the shed working. You could perhaps get another couple of posts and rafters from Ranbuild and give yourself a lot more under cover area, if you need it.

Keep us posted.

Cheers
Pops

BobR
17th April 2010, 01:32 PM
Pops, there is a 2m x 6m awning out the front with a power point and light fitted. No doubt will get plenty of use. Faces close to NE so gets the morning sun, but is comfortable in the afternoon. Might be different in the cooler months.

Cliff Rogers
17th April 2010, 01:40 PM
Are you going to paint the walls?

I lined my new shed in ply.... thin stuff (4mm) on the ceiling & up high & thicker stuff (12mm) for the first 2400mm so I could hang/mount stuff on it.

I gave it all a coat of white 3 in one sealer/primer/undercoat, gee it made a different to the light in there.

I would recommend it to anybody, even if you don't seal it, paint the inside white 'cos it really makes a difference to the efficiency of the lighting. :2tsup:

BobR
17th April 2010, 02:59 PM
Cliff, I am using an oil based undercoat then an off white semi gloss. Whilst the roof will not be lined it is insulated with an outside cover of silver foil which gives great reflection. Should start painting by the end of the week.

chippy 71
17th April 2010, 05:16 PM
Finished installing the insulation on the walls today. Can't do anything else until the final is given on the shed. This is being held up by the plumber who has to connect the water tank to the stormwater drain. After that, get the electrical wiring run before cladding over the insulation.

Bob, What type of insulation did you use on the walls, I note it was put in after the outside cladding went on, is it in sheet form?

Colin.

Pat
17th April 2010, 06:44 PM
Or you can use white melamine to remove the chore of painting:;

BobR
17th April 2010, 08:05 PM
Colin, I used Foilboard. The sheets are 2400 x 1200 foam between foil. There are different thicknesses. I used 15mm based on the supplier recommendation. During the shed construction I had the middle girt spaced 1200 from the lower girt. There is enough flex in the board to get it over the lip on the girt. Above the middle girt I cut to size. The green tape I purchased from the supplier of the Foilboard. However, any tape will do as you are only holding it in place until the cladding is inplace. Cladding is required as the foil would become damaged quickly if exposed.

chippy 71
17th April 2010, 08:50 PM
Colin, I used Foilboard. The sheets are 2400 x 1200 foam between foil. There are different thicknesses. I used 15mm based on the supplier recommendation. During the shed construction I had the middle girt spaced 1200 from the lower girt. There is enough flex in the board to get it over the lip on the girt. Above the middle girt I cut to size. The green tape I purchased from the supplier of the Foilboard. However, any tape will do as you are only holding it in place until the cladding is inplace. Cladding is required as the foil would become damaged quickly if exposed.

Bob........thanks for that info, I have not heard of this product, I will Google it and get more info and find a supplier up her in Brisbane.
Recently I converted a 6m x 3m carport into a workshop, I had to replace three posts, all the rafters and beams, new iron on the roof and under that I put a insulation blanket, I lined the outside with fibro sheeting. I was not sure what to do with the walls regarding insulation, now I know.
I will probably line the inside with 1/2" ply.
I lost my 8m x 8m workshop to our daughter and family, they thought it a good place to live while their new house was being built, six months later they still have not moved into their home, soon I hope:wink:

Colin.

K_S
19th April 2010, 12:10 PM
superb

munruben
19th April 2010, 08:52 PM
Fantastic :2tsup:

BobR
19th April 2010, 11:16 PM
Finished putting up the yellow tongue today - only two small strips. Have just about finished the undercoat. Tomorrow I will finish the undercoat and start on the first coat of the finish. Will try and get some photos up. Getting closer.

BobR
13th May 2010, 11:29 PM
Trouble with moving into a new house is that so many things compete for your time, including visitors. Anyway, now back onto setting up the shed. A small room has been built in one corner - still to be finished. Most of the machinery and tools have been moved from the garage into the shed. Have started to hang things on the wall. Today was starting to hang the clamps. The yellow tongue has turned out to be magic. No looking for studs - just screw it in. Things are still a bit of a mess, but I have included some photos.

Cliff Rogers
13th May 2010, 11:50 PM
:2tsup:

Horaldic
14th May 2010, 02:54 AM
Looks great! Might it get hot in summer where you are? Only asking because I am going through the design phase for my rebuild at the moment.

I am restricted to a low roof, so with the heat in summer here I want to get as effective an insulation layer as I can. I'm thinking of some bats under the foil held in place by some sort of ceiling, probably of ply,because it's going to be more durable than plasterboard in a shed where timber is going to be moved around.

I am using yellow tongue for the lining on the walls at the moment. It seems good, easy to work with and as you say great for hanging things and fittings off. My only concern is whether it will stand the test of time.

Greg Ward
14th May 2010, 08:35 AM
OK. Looks really great, you could eat of the floor.............. but one problem ...........Now where are you going to put all the timber?
And all the WIP jobs that you have planned and that are on order????

Well done.

Regards
Greg

BobR
14th May 2010, 09:14 AM
Greg, I have a timber rack built behind the shed with a color bond roof and shade cloth sides. A couple of months agao I went up to Mal's place to check it out, but he was in either NZ or Tasie.

Horaldic, as mentioned earlier I have insulation under the roof. So far, so good. I have another small shed with a low roof and no insulation so I know what you mean about the heat. I am not too concerend about the yellow tongue staying fixed to the shed. Though I would not fix big timber racks to it. The type of "stuff" that I am placing on the wall should not put too much strain on the yellow tongue. there are always toggle screws.

Pops
14th May 2010, 09:50 AM
Looking fantastic Bob. Almost ready for wood surgery. The white walls make such a difference to visibility.

Cheers
Pops

Greg Ward
14th May 2010, 11:38 AM
Once the timber is dry, it is good to keep it under cover and an oudoors stack never goes astray. Wongo keeps his stock in a double garage around the size of your shed, but guess what....... the car gets to park on the street.

Mal is busy at the moment also, Brisbane www show neat week and weekend but he'll be back at end May for several weeks preparing for the Sydney www show mid June.
But don't worry.... the stock will always be there unless he has a bushfire which may cause a few little problems.
The last fire came through around 9 years ago, but only burnt a few old blackwood logs.... the cattle keep the grass down thankfully.

Anyway. I may see you up there myself one of these days.
Regards
Greg

Christos
14th May 2010, 10:31 PM
That looks great.