PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Wrap

macca2
14th September 2004, 03:10 PM
Hi,
I am about to start on the kitchen renovation bit and would like to hear from anyone who has experience with Vinyl Wrap for cupboards doors etc.

I have been told by a couple of kitchen reno companies here in Perth that they don't recommend it because it tends to lift. Especially near ovens.

Other companies tell me there is not a problem and they give their Vinyl Wrap a 10 year guarranty. They also do it their own factory here.

Any info regarding this and/or any other kitchen products and/or traps would be great.

Cheers
Macca :confused:

maglite
14th September 2004, 04:12 PM
Hi Macca,

We used vinyl wrap on our cupboards and couldnt be happier with them, no problems so far after 2 years, 1 door is next to the wall oven.
I reckon that they tend to look a bit more professional than the ordinary laminex ones.
One suggestion i can make is if u are having a bench/brekky bar inquire about post formed edges as they dont tend to chip if knocked around by pots ect.

As far as fixtures and fittings go, there is a place in Canningvale(name escapes me) that usually has a few sales a year and we ended up buying everything thru them and they were way cheaper than anyone else inc bunnies.

Hope this helps
Steve

jackiew
14th September 2004, 06:38 PM
One suggestion i can make is if u are having a bench/brekky bar inquire about post formed edges as they dont tend to chip if knocked around by pots ect.

I'm not sure what a post formed edge is :o ... can you enlighten the unenlightened here please

arms
14th September 2004, 06:59 PM
vinyl wrap doors and panels are formed and adhered to mdf board by both heat and vacuum ,most of the reputable firms both glue and heat press the pvc onto the board,this is extremely important that they use both methods together as one cannot work successfully without the other,as for lifting of the edges next to stoves you now know that the process of adhesion is caused through heat so the heat of a stove door to close to an edge will create the edge to lift,it is recommended to affix a 16x16 mm stainless steel 90 degree angle under the oven face to seperate heat from the door edge,
postformed is the process of heating a laminate to a certain temperature to fold the laminate around benchtop adges and doors,
kind regards
tom armstrong
www.armstrongcabinets.com.au (http://www.armstrongcabinets.com.au)

maglite
14th September 2004, 07:07 PM
A post formed edge is curved and looks similar to a bullnose.
If you were to use a rounding over bit in a router and you round over both edges of a piece of timber the effect is similar to a post formed edge.

The laminex is then wrapped over the curved edge and glued about 2 inches on the underside.

I hope this helps.
Cheers
Steve

macca2
16th September 2004, 11:34 AM
Thanks to you all, and yes I had decided to use post formed edges on the benchtop.

Steve, did you use mat or gloss finish??

Tom, do you mean we need to have 16x16 SS angle on all sides of the oven or just the top??

Thanks Macca

maglite
16th September 2004, 01:29 PM
Gday Macca,

We used the matt finish on the doors.
White cupboard doors and a splotchy light grey on the benchtop.
We have jarrah floorboards so we couldnt afford to go for anything much darker but all in all we are very impressed with finish.
Cheers
Steve

arms
16th September 2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks to you all, and yes I had decided to use post formed edges on the benchtop.

Steve, did you use mat or gloss finish??

Tom, do you mean we need to have 16x16 SS angle on all sides of the oven or just the top??

Thanks Maccathe s/steel should seperate the oven from any surrounding or adjacent materials that could be effected by heat