PDA

View Full Version : canoe seat

rob laundy
4th April 2010, 01:52 PM
Hi all
Its great to have this Easter break to get some real work done on the canoe
Im up to making the seats while the glue dries on the gunwales and have made the
frames and cut a 5mmx7mm groove for the cane and key and would like to ask
all you knowlable people if i have to soak the cane/key in water to make it more
soft to fit in the grooves.Is it also a good idea to glue it in with epoxy (after dries)
to help it stay put .
Happy easter to all Rob
PS the new shed has started:U

Still Smilin'
5th April 2010, 07:22 PM
Hi Rob, here's the sum total I learned from hand caning three seats last year. Soak for a couple of hours at least. I know it's tempting to glue the cane into that groove though I was worried that it would then trap water that ran or wicked in from the top. I settled on tucking all the loose ends in as best I could. I pegged each of the holes at the finish to make everything stay put. I'll also bet that you're going to varnish the whole lot when finished - this may be a mistake. The advise came from a retired furniture maker/restorer that the cane should be left natural with the shiny side up. He says that all those failed seats you've seen are brought about throughh owners varnishing the cane which then becomes brittle and breaks up against the frame. I questioned him at length about this but he was adamant - cane used on verticle surfaces - cupboard doors etc are OK to be varnished, seats - no.......

rob laundy
6th April 2010, 09:46 PM
Many thank for the info yep would have varnished them so thanks for the insite
:2tsup:
Regards rob

Boatasaurus
7th April 2010, 11:31 PM
Hi Rob
There are some excellent instructions plus 'how to' type videos on the Adelaide based wickerworks website coveing pre-woven and hand woven methods.
regards David