PDA

View Full Version : Verahdah floor

neddy
15th September 2004, 12:35 AM
Hi all........I'm about to lay my Verandah flooring, which is T&G Jarrah. My question is that I heard that you can apply crayon to the end of the board (the over-hang that gets the weather) which seals the end and stops any thing from penetrating in and rotting it..........does any one know if this is correct....or are their other methods of treating the ends before varnishing the rest of it. I've seen many old verandah T&G where the ends are rotted while the rest is ok. Any advice would be appreaciated.

vsquizz
15th September 2004, 12:50 AM
Hi Neddy, the problem with ends of boards like on the verandah is the timber, any timber, moves, no matter what you do. Don't know about crayon but anything that is applied will require re-coating as the ends of the boards will move.

Some of the professional end grain sealing paints/treatments may be the go. A search of the timber forums will reveal some useful information.

Another approach, if you don't mind the look is to end cap the boards with a rebated face board. It doesn't solve the problem just reduces the weather exposure and thus the amount of distortion/splitting.

Mate of mine made his boards about 6" too long then trims a 1/2" off every couple a years before re-oiling:D . Works for him.

Try a search.

Cheers