PDA

View Full Version : Need to build box.

Hysteria
15th September 2004, 08:55 AM
Hi all, I'm building a sub woofer for a school teck project. I have hardly any experience with wood. If anybody could give me very detailed instructions on how to build this box minus the finish, I' de be very grateful.

GCP310
15th September 2004, 09:08 AM
simple, take your dimensions or your design to bunnings and get them to cut to size all of the mdf components you need, while your there buy a cheap jigsaw to cut the sub woofer hole out and get some hammertone spray paint to finish it off. Job done.

G

GCP310
15th September 2004, 09:10 AM
Sorry, i dont think bunnings has gone international yet. :D

try a local cabinet maker, they my help you out with some melamine offcuts that would suit your project. they even may cut to size if you bribe them with a carton of beer.

Goodluck

G

Hysteria
15th September 2004, 09:22 PM
I've got everthing I need tools wise in school. I've already got the mdf cut to size. I need to know things like how to join the mdf together, I don't want to just nail it together. See that pic, I want a box JUST like that.

bsrlee
15th September 2004, 11:46 PM
OK, here goes:

You have all the parts cut out already. The box looks to have 45 degree mitres at the corner, so all your 'sides' will have 45 degree chamfers on 2 opposite sides.

Get a roll of extra wide sticky tape. Place all the 'sides' on a flat surface with the 90 deg. sides at the top & bottom & the 45's adjoining, INSIDES DOWN. Tape all the joints on the outside. Turn it over & put PVA glue on all the 45's, then roll up the box around the square ends. Leave to dry. Remove tape.

OK - you had to make a decision back a way - do you want to glue the inset 'ends' into the box at both ends? I think one end needs to be glued, but probably not both. When you roll up the case, make sure the permanently fixed end has glue on it & the removeable end doesn't.

Glue some re-enforcing pieces inside the fixed end in the corners between the sides & end. Mark a line a set distance in from the now open end & glue some more blocks in. Wait for the new lot of glue to dry. You can now fit the removeable end with screws or bolts - I think the 4 round thingies are plastic fancy washers for the screws - you can just countersink the box instead if you can't get the plastic bits.

Add paint, grills etc.

You don't need nails etc with MDF - PVA is as strong or stronger than the MDF, just don't get it wet or the whole thing will go to #^%*& - the MDF first! See pages 38-43 Taunton Press's book "Woodworking Techniques" (ISBN 1-56158-345-6) in their 'Essentials of Woodworking' series for support of this technique, which should silence any critics - I've pretty much lifted the whole of this post from their idea.

rhook
16th September 2004, 08:46 PM
I don't think cartons of beer have gone international, either....