PDA

View Full Version : Latest Commission - Horse and Knight

Sir Stinkalot
5th April 2010, 06:06 PM
Not really sure where to post this one.

Just finished a recent commission over the weekend. It is for the clients new business and it will be used as an outdoor sign. The sign all up will be about 900 x 1500 when the letting is put on ..... the knight and horse itself is about 800 square. He saw the shields that I make at the Little River Market and his logo was very similar so he asked if I could do a larger custom one.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/Sir_Stinkalot2525/woodwork/IMG_7759.jpg

I don't normally like doing commission works as there is always the problem that it will not be liked .... and there is also the problem with what to charge.

Anyway with this one I was upfront with the price, which was reasonable but much higher than my regular shed hourly rate (which is next to nothing). I calculated the costs off a realistic time frame and material costs but didn't go overboard.

I was feeling quite guilty about the cost when he picked it up, and he again asked how much he owed me .... I said the price again and was given 10% more as he was impressed with the job :2tsup:. Feels good to walk away with an hourly rate closer to the regular pay rate and still have a happy customer.

Cheers

Stinky.

Wongdai
5th April 2010, 06:43 PM
Nice one on all fronts. It looks great.

artme
5th April 2010, 07:10 PM
Well done Stinky!1 Looks good to me!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

RufflyRustic
5th April 2010, 09:20 PM
Brilliant!! it looks so real!! DUCK!!! :wink::D

Congrats on earning some $ and a bit extra as well. :2tsup:

Claw Hama
5th April 2010, 09:26 PM
Looks great SS, what timber did you use and how thick is it?

Sir Stinkalot
6th April 2010, 07:26 PM
what timber did you use and how thick is it?

Thanks all .... should have added it is out off 19mm exterior ply. I gave it a sand and finished it with a coat of shellac just to make it look more presentable. The client will be painting it with exterior grade paint before putting it up.

I would have liked to do one out of a blackwood for mounting inside .... but we will just wait and see!

Cheers

Stinky.

Christos
9th April 2010, 11:26 PM
Great feeling to have a happy customer.

Very nice work.

Scally
12th April 2010, 09:30 PM
It looks very effective and should look even better on a painted background.

A bonus to have a paying customer. I expect he will be back for more.