PDA

View Full Version : 16' Pompei Clinker....advice please

clinkerfix
6th April 2010, 11:55 AM
Dear All,
I'm new here but the forum looks to be a great source of advice and support. I have just purchased a 16' Pompei clinker from early 1960's I'm told. It's in need of some fairly major restoration, virtually no dry rot but came to grief on some rocks and will need a couple of planks replaced on each side along with plenty of general restoration....a long term project!
I'd be very grateful of advice regarding how to approach the restoration work - I'm pretty handy but have virtually no experience with boat building or restoration. Would appreciate sources of advice - people, books, DVDs or webpages.
Cheers,
Bruce:2tsup:

PS - I'm in Ballarat, Vic

PAR
6th April 2010, 02:17 PM
Most of the time with this building style you have multiple issues, tensions cracks and breaks in the ribs, loose fasteners, egged out fastener holes, corroded fasteners, hammered planking lands (laps), rot (there's always rot, trust me) commonly found in the hood ends, around the transom, stem, stern post, hull distortions, etc. The list can be extensive and so can the work.

Pictures, lots of them so we can see the condition of your boat. Lapstrake boats are not the easiest to repair (some consider them one of the hardest), but it is something you can do with help.

You may also avail yourself of the many previous threads on clinker, lapstrake, etc. techniques with the search tool.

Daddles
6th April 2010, 05:55 PM
Have a look at this link mate Index (http://www.woodenboat.org.au/)

It's for the Wooden Boat Associations around Oz. Find one near you and get in contact with them. Restoring these old girls really is something where experience can save you and your boat a lot of grief, so get others on board to at least advise you. Besides, you'll also have a group of like minded friends to sob to when you discover that unexpected 'issue'.

Oh, number one tip - DON'T pull anything apart until you know exactly what's involved in fixing it.

Richard

clinkerfix
6th April 2010, 11:37 PM
Thanks gents, your advice greatly appreciated. I'll aim to get some photos up asap but likely to take a few days. I'm very conscious of getting someone "in the know" to take a look before doing anything.
Cheers,
Bruce