PDA

View Full Version : I gotta get some

hughie
6th April 2010, 04:49 PM
wouldn't mind a few root ball blanks of this stuff

Kauri Blanks (http://www.thewoodturnersstudio.co.nz/pages/KauriBlanks.htm)

wheelinround
6th April 2010, 07:04 PM
The truck with the trailer will do Hughie I'll go in a share :o

artme
6th April 2010, 08:09 PM
:o:o:o

rsser
7th April 2010, 06:45 AM
That Green Kauri is striking for sure.

My ancient Kauri rough-out is dry (took about a year, mostly in a plakky bag) and ready for finish turning. Seems to have a bit of figure.

hughie
7th April 2010, 09:18 AM
My ancient Kauri rough-out is dry (took about a year, mostly in a plakky bag) and ready for finish turning. Seems to have a bit of figure

Most Kauri for me has too little in the way of figure etc and a bit bland. There are some great pieces available but not common and doubtful if we will much fancy stuff this side of the water.
Next trip over I will be looking for some. The climate is far more humid in NZ than here and the last piece I bought over split or rather peeled open :o in quick time. Although it had been drying for 10 years. :C
The good thing is that theres no restriction on bringing it in here.:U

rsser
7th April 2010, 09:48 AM
FWIW one NZ turner I've spoken with says it's much cheaper over there than here.

Ozkaban
7th April 2010, 10:10 AM
I bought some figured Ancient Kauri pen blanks in the last group buy from the US. Interesting wood, though very light for it's size Haven't turned it yet so can't comment on figure.

Some of the blanks in those pictures looks pretty solid though :D

Ed Reiss
7th April 2010, 12:08 PM
"Silver Kauri", Ozb :;:D

rsser
7th April 2010, 12:10 PM
They breed 'em tough in NZ ;-}

As per another thread somewhere Dave, the ancient K is apparently a devil for tear-out so sharp tools and light shear cuts are needed.

Ozkaban
7th April 2010, 12:27 PM
"Silver Kauri", Ozb :;:D

At least they've already been rounded properly :D

They breed 'em tough in NZ ;-}

As per another thread somewhere Dave, the ancient K is apparently a devil for tear-out so sharp tools and light shear cuts are needed.
Ta Ern. I'll have a crack at them some time soon. I've nearly run out of kits for the moment which is odd and need rectifying!

Cheers,
Dave

hughie
7th April 2010, 08:29 PM

I agree, but it does sand very well, if all else fails