PDA

View Full Version : It had to happen one day

powderpost
7th April 2010, 11:45 AM
After losing my way for a short time, turning single pieces of timber, I got the urge to laminate again. This one has been in the wings for a while. It took two months to work out how to do it, then a couple of days to make the jigs etc. After six days cutting and gluing, I put the job into the lathe to trim it up for the next stage. In less than a split second, it was spread around the shed. I have found six of the pieces, two are still missing.
I had been a bit suspicious of the glue, a new pot, but had pressed on with it. The timber is black walnut and acacia cedar.
In a way it was a good thing, I would rather it fail in the lathe, than in someone's lounge room. I have taken the issue up with Selleys. Strangely the bottle has no batch number or date on it. This is the first failure I have had after many years of laminating.
I have already started a replacement but with a new bottle of glue. The new bottle is performing as I would expect.
And I wasn't wearing a face mask, something I will have to reconsider.
Jim

Ed Reiss
7th April 2010, 11:57 AM
Heartbreaker Jim...glad to hear that no personal injury was involved, easier to replace a bowl than a nose or chin or eye, etc., etc.

Ozkaban
7th April 2010, 12:46 PM
What a bugger!

Can you reassemble it at all or are the bits damaged (of course, assuming you can find the other two)??

Cheers,
Dave

jefferson
7th April 2010, 12:54 PM
Geez, Jim, a lucky escape.

Not your fault though...... I wonder what Selley's complaints dept. would have to say.:((:((

Chin up and let's see the next one.

wheelinround
7th April 2010, 03:52 PM
Sellys hum I have a bottle of PVA I am suss about to watery I feel.

Jim next one will be ok :2tsup:

RETIRED
7th April 2010, 04:07 PM
Hmm. Jim, this is just like some of the segmented stuff I make. :whistling2::D

tea lady
7th April 2010, 06:01 PM
Hmm. Jim, this is just like some of the segmented stuff I make. :whistling2::Dand some of the ONE piece items.:doh::oo::D

Ad de Crom
7th April 2010, 06:34 PM
Jim, outch, simply bad luck. Was it the glue? I suppose so.
I use always Bison wood glue professional fast drying, not to use below 5C.
After the long winter I throwed away the glue I had, and bought a bottle new glue.
Wait always a day, despite it is a fast drying glue, before I'm doing something else.
Had for a couple of years ago the same experience, with segments flying around my ears, luckely no hit in my face. Be careful !!
Ad

Mr Brush
7th April 2010, 06:41 PM
Is there any advantage in using one of the fancy pants PVA glues (like Titebond II or III) for this sort of 'mission critical' application?? Or is plain old vanilla PVA OK?

Sawdust Maker
7th April 2010, 08:38 PM
bugga

hope none of it hit you in the forehead :doh:

Hope orica comes to the party with the replacement product

Still not sure where you get the patience for this work

coffenup
7th April 2010, 09:52 PM
sorry to hear that it happened :oo: but glad you was not hurt
but the next one will work
Regards Michaal

powderpost
7th April 2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the support. I still see it as a positive, what if I had sold it? Not a pleasant thought.

Ed, I call it "character building" :D

Dave, the pieces are damaged and I still cannot find the two missing pieces.

Jeff, it brings to mind, "A good tradesman doesn't blame his tools". :U

Mr Robertson, you are blaspheming again... :oo:

Ad, I suspect the glue. I sometimes rub some glue between my fingers as a test. This lot had a different feel.

Mr Brush, Standard aquadhere doesn't set hard enough and can produce a small bead at the joints. I use Selleys external +, it is a polyaliphatic and cross linked glue that dries quickly, hard and sands well. It is similar to titebond 2, which I have used before.

S.M., Probably wouldn't do any harm if it had hit me on the head.. :no: :D

Michael, the next one is half done and is shaping up better already.

Thanks folks...
Jim

Cliff Rogers
7th April 2010, 10:24 PM
Oooo goody, a jigsaw puzzle.... I love jigsaw puzzles. :D

artme
8th April 2010, 09:15 AM
Absolute bummer PP. I dont use Selley's. I've always found the quality a bit uneven.

Mr Brush
8th April 2010, 12:40 PM
OK - Titebond II it is, and don't use it past the expiry date to be on the safe side.:D

Nothing like a few chunks of timber whistling past your noggin to help you remember :oo:

The old 'out of date' glue is handy to seal end grain on timber while it is drying - just paint some on and allow to dry.

TTIT
8th April 2010, 02:54 PM
After losing my way for a short time, turning single pieces of timber,.............................In less than a split second, it was spread around the shed. Tsk tsk Jim:no: - wouldn't have happened if you stuck to solid timber . . . . . . . . . .unless had something to do with it :o

jefferson
11th April 2010, 08:31 AM
Tsk tsk Jim:no: - wouldn't have happened if you stuck to solid timber . . . . . . . . . .unless had something to do with it :o

Or Calm.... :D:D:D

powderpost
11th April 2010, 10:16 PM
Found the two missing pieces this afternoon, not too damaged. Might try to piece it back together as soon as i can get the time... Retirement is not all beer and skittles you know.. :B :U
Jim

Ozkaban
11th April 2010, 10:32 PM
Retirement is not all beer and skittles you know.. :B :U
Jim
Does sound like it involves a bit of ducking and weaving though :D:D

Cheers,
Dave