PDA

View Full Version : Ding Puzzle (+ TS Sled)

RedShirtGuy
7th April 2010, 04:18 PM
I've been holding onto this article and plan (http://books.google.com.au/books?id=jvYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA56&dq=ding+puzzle&hl=en&ei=SBC8S8XhOYXisQOYyvX2BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CEcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=ding%20puzzle&f=false) for yonks and now that my table saw has finally been rebuilt it was the first thing I thought I'd have a go at.

I made the jig pretty much the same as the author's except inverted it for use on the table saw as a sled, and instead of using a screwed down lever for the piece holder I thought a beefy little spring would make it much easier to get the cut piece out. I also added an adjustable stop on the front rail for making the straight cuts. I need to put another holder in for the straight cut as I've just been holding the piece down with a stick, which is a bit hairy.

To get the V channel on the right 10 degree angle without a protractor, I marked a straight line 90 degrees from the cut in the sled. Then a few points were marked out along the line. Those points were put through the algorithm (?) distance of point from kerf x tan(10) which gives you the height of the 10 degree line at each of those points. (I double checked with SketchUp too) Those results were marked and connected up to make the reference line for where to stick the edge of the channel.

Yay for having a maths teacher at my disposal :2tsup:

I only used a square Radiata pine stick for the pieces pictured as it needed to be tested and a lot of fiddly adjustments made to the stops, so I ended up wasting a fair bit. I also had to put down a few pieces of tape along the front edge as it was screwed together ever so slightly off from straight. But now that the jig is all good and proper I can stick some better timber in next time and see what kinds of finishes I can put on them.

Doc58
8th April 2010, 09:41 PM
Looks good :2tsup:

I made a similar sled for my cheapo table saw and everything looked cool until I found the saw is not quite square :C

Have to make some time to sort that out.:doh:

Is your sled finished with a finish of any kind or is it left in the buff, so to speak?

Doc

RedShirtGuy
9th April 2010, 09:52 AM
No finish, although since you asked I reckon a little oil probably wouldn't go astray. My shed cops bit of condensation overnight (particularly over winter) so a coat of something to repel a little water couldn't hurt.

I'm also having a play with a longer arm on the hold down thingy so it reaches over to the straight cut as well. It's not putting down as much pressure when on that piece but it seems to do the job.

ciopartelu
14th April 2010, 08:09 PM
I've been holding onto for yonks and now that my table saw has finally been rebuilt it was the first thing I thought I'd have a go at.

I made the jig pretty much the same as the author's except inverted it for use on the table saw as a sled, and instead of using a screwed down lever for the piece holder I thought a beefy little spring would make it much easier to get the cut piece out. I also added an adjustable stop on the front rail for making the straight cuts. I need to put another holder in for the straight cut as I've just been holding the piece down with a stick, which is a bit hairy.

To get the V channel on the right 10 degree angle without a protractor, I marked a straight line 90 degrees from the cut in the sled. Then a few points were marked out along the line. Those points were put through the algorithm (?) distance of point from kerf x tan(10) which gives you the height of the 10 degree line at each of those points. (I double checked with SketchUp too) Those results were marked and connected up to make the reference line for where to stick the edge of the channel.

Yay for having a maths teacher at my disposal :2tsup:

I only used a square Radiata pine stick for the pieces pictured as it needed to be tested and a lot of fiddly adjustments made to the stops, so I ended up wasting a fair bit. I also had to put down a few pieces of tape along the front edge as it was screwed together ever so slightly off from straight. But now that the jig is all good and proper I can stick some better timber in next time and see what kinds of finishes I can put on them.

This is beautiful. I just bought a wooden puzzle from here (http://www.woodentoys123.com/toys/wooden-puzzles) and I'm so sorry that I can't do it myself.

But you are true inspiration :)