PDA

View Full Version : Lathe bed and slideway oil

Gunnaduit
8th April 2010, 11:29 AM
There was a recent discussion of lathe oils but I've got a slightly different question here.

I can't get the recommended slideway oil for my lathe, though I'd like to. Shell Tonna S68 or Castrol Magnaglide D68 are the correct products. Basically these are oils of ISO 68 viscosity, made sticky by use of additives to cling on the working surfaces. But they only come in 20L drums.

Seems a lot of people use hydraulic oil instead, like Shell Tellus or Castrol Hyspin AWH or BP Bartran on the slideways, around ISO 48 for a bit of weight to it. In theory (as in, if you ring Shell or Castrol technical advice) hydraulic oils would run off the slideways and are useless. But that's what people are using anyway, right?

Even the hydraulic oils only come in 4L packs. I reckon 1 L would be plenty. So what about motorcycle fork oil? That comes in 1L containers. And you can get an ISO 46 grade (though not ISO 68). Anyone using that on their lathe bed?

And yeah, the headstock on mine uses ISO 32 hydraulic oil (Castrol Hyspin AWH 32), I could just use that but I'd prefer a stiffer oil on the bed and slideways.

bollie7
8th April 2010, 01:18 PM
You could always use an EP diff oil. its pretty sticky. At the end of the day any oil will be better than none and if its a home shop machine you won't be using it like a machine in a commercial workshop anyway. Proper slideway oil would be great but keep in mind its been developed for production machines that cop a lot of use (and possibly abuse) and where time is money so the longer the machine is in service the better return on the cost.
Also a lot of operators don't have any sense of "ownership" of the machine either. Home shop use is a bit different. You own the machine so you will take a lot better care of it. It doesn't really matter if you have to oil it a bit more often. I only use engine oil for mine. You know the 1/2 litre or so thats left over from an engine oil change in the car. Into the old oil can. Oil up the machine before use and during, clean down and oil at the end. Machine is still working fine and accuracy is still ok for what I want.

regards
bollie7

nadroj
8th April 2010, 07:36 PM
I bought 5 litres of slideway oil recently from: All Things Oil Pty Ltd, in Dandenong South Victoria Ph: 03 9791 4633.
For readily available "sticky" alternative, there is chainsaw bar oil in 1 litre containers.

Jordan

rusty steel
8th April 2010, 08:22 PM
Someone on this site suggested chainsaw bar oil some time ago so I bought some (available in 4 litre containers) and I am happy with that.
I think that regular application is more important than having the correct oil.
I gather that the correct bedway oil is to overcome "stiction" when using NC machines but is not so important on "home" machines.
I keep a roll of toilet paper near the lathe and regularly wipe the slides clean and then spread a thin film on the slides as well as injecting the oil into the oil "nipples".

Regards,
Russell

Th232
8th April 2010, 08:34 PM
RS Components sells slideway oil (Castrol Magna BD68) in 5L quantities. Shipping is free as well.

Gunnaduit
8th April 2010, 09:28 PM
Th232, well spotted to see that Castrol slideway lubricant on RS Australia's website. Who would have thought. I have an account with them so might just buy it. Though the price is a bit forbidding despite free delivery and 5L will be 2 lifetime's supply. Wonder what's the counter price in Dandenong - as per nadroj's suggestion - I was around Dandenong a few weeks ago, didn't think of oil.

I was rummaging right at the back of under the bench this arvo and found my chainsaw oil and was thinking too maybe that's the go. Not quite the right thing, but sure, I'm not a factory just a shed guy. Probably more important that I check the oil nipples aren't clogged and actually let any oil through at all, than get too hung up about the exact type of oil.

Cheers, thanks for the suggestions. I'd say this topic is now covered!

.RC.
8th April 2010, 10:07 PM
Though the price is a bit forbidding despite free delivery

20l of vactra 2 is around $130.. I got a drum a few weeks ago..

steam4ian
9th April 2010, 08:03 PM
G'day all

I use "Parafin Oil" which is available in 1 litre bottles from Bunnings. I earlier got my Parafin Oil from the pharmacy. You can guess on of its uses, it looses things up!:U

IMHO it has just the right viscosity. You don't want an oil that is too sticky because it holds the swarf.

Regards
Ian

Ray39
11th April 2010, 10:40 AM
Hello
Just thought I would add my methods of lubrication to this thread
I only use D32 hydraulic oil for any hydraulic gear and D46 for all headstock's, feed boxes etc. However I add Tru Blue oil stabiliser, or I think Morrays oil stabiliser in varying quantities depending on the use, this stuff stops the oil being flung off, and will even travel along shafts to penetrate bearings. For sideways I just add about 15% to oil can, works well and keeps staining down to minimum, good stick slip properties. Available from Tru Blu Oil - Lubrication Products for Retail, Industry and Manufacturers (http://www.trubluoil.com.au/) in Bayswater Vic but i have seen the stuff in bearing outlets.
Years ago I did a lot of testing on this stuff in difficult industrial situations, I could explain but its a whole story, worked like magic
Ray

gallegos
11th April 2010, 03:52 PM
20l of vactra 2 is around $130.. I got a drum a few weeks ago..

+1. The local oil distributor in bunbury had this in stock so I would guess it would be easy to find most places

catweaselmusic
12th April 2010, 07:49 PM
Greetings, You could try chainsaw bar oil for your slideway, it is a tacky oil with a higher viscosity. I would be qiute o.k. with the open nature of the application and is sold in 1ltr bottles from farm and mower supplies.