PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast M305 Midi "upgrades"

haggismuncher
9th April 2010, 04:37 PM
Having been good and not bought a cheper end of the market mini, I am probably going to buy a Woodfast M305 Midi, but I am in a quandary as to who to purchase from.

Carbatec in Launceston have them at $495
Woodfast will do one direct for $399 (+ Plus a hefty $99 freight to get to the South Island). However they said they would also include, "testing of the machine plus some upgrades to the machine before shipping it to our customers these upgrades are only done by us on direct to customer sales" .
My question is this, what upgrades could they do that they think are necessary but obviously the manufacturers themselves don't do to all machines?

So do I buy local and therefore can return the machine if/when there is a problem, or do I go with a prechecked machine and fingers crossed not be hit by a freight charge of $99 to get it repaired if soemthing goes wrong?

Chris

Pat
9th April 2010, 05:11 PM
Chris, I brought my M910 direct from Woodfast, paid the freight and got good customer service. I had a problem with a mag switch, emailed them at about 2000 hrs and got a phone call from the manager that night. The Woodfast people did some brainstorming the next day and came up with the solution. the mag switch had moved in transit and took me a minute to rectify.

One thing don't look at the accessories (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_8)page if you want cheap nasty stuff, the accessories are bullet proof and worth the money.

issatree
9th April 2010, 05:14 PM
Hi Chris,
Why not go for the Variable Speed one. Appear to be very good from all the reports.
They are dearer, & the belt change is very good on the one you are looking at, but I personally prefer the V/S.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

rsser
9th April 2010, 05:26 PM
Why not email them and ask 'what upgrades?'

Avery
9th April 2010, 09:08 PM
Why not email them and ask 'what upgrades?'

Yes, this is a good idea.

Please post the results here. I am sure some of us other M305 owners would like to know.

NeilS
9th April 2010, 09:56 PM
Living in Adelaide I have the luxury (and pleasure) of dealing directly with the chaps at Woodfast. They have always provided v. good after sales service.

Keep in mind that you are most unlikely to have to return the whole lathe, perhaps just one part, at most.

Another point to consider is, how viable is Carbatec in Launceston? If they are there for the long haul then you have ongoing support, if they go to the wall then you will have to go directly to Woodfast, anyway.

The flip side to this is if you buy locally you will be supporting your local supplier and helping to ensure that you continue to have the convenience of a local WW supply shop.

Hard call.

China
9th April 2010, 11:49 PM
I agree with NeilS I would get it direct, I have been using woodfast products for 35+ years I have never had to return anything on warrenty, and if you do as said above most unlikley it will be the the entire unit