PDA

View Full Version : Green turning cherry.

tea lady
9th April 2010, 11:03 PM
Had fun last night green turning some bits of cherry that came my way. Cracks were well on the way, so I had to turn NOW! So lined them up with a couple of other bits. (Blackwood and Pseudo Acacia. Not so green. But I was on a roll. ) I have 4 face plates, so I screwed them all on. :cool:

I turned the bottoms down ready for the chuck. Loaded one up with the tail stock for support. And the foot was broken off at the first catch. "Oh! Drat!" I said.:rolleyes:

Pondering required. ......:think: I had acquired, at the last gathering at 's, a rough green turned elm bowl from Vic Woods trailer. It was dry now. But a shape I hadn't seen before. (what with mainly spending my time with a "proper turner.":D ) It was obviously turned between centers. Hollowed out with a post in the middle.

Vics Elm bowl being straightened out in my lathe.

"Might have been done cos the foot breaks off in the chuck" I thought. So That is how I did my cherry bowls. The next problem was how to get down into the deep bottoms. The bowl gouge only goes so far till the tail stock is in thhe way. Back hollowing nearly works, but :shrug: Too nerve wracking. So I dug out a tool that was another Jefferson cast off. A (useless? :rolleyes:) 13mm round nose scraper. It is about 8mm thick to actually has quite a bit of heft for "out from the tool rest" work. And I could now get to the bottom of things. Thanks Jefferson. Its real handy. :cool:

Using Jefferson's scraper.

So my workshop smelled like glazed cherries for an hour or two. And two green turned bowls are now tucked up in shavings to dry.:2tsup:

On to my other bits. After turning the blackwood, I decided it was a bit TOO interesting (ie, a few too many "features":rolleyes:, and a bit thin on one side:doh: ), and I should make it into other smaller things. But the Pseudo acacia was next in line. It came from The Groggy gathering a few months ago. Very dry. A bit punky in the middle. But on went the CA and off I went. Was going well. I even managed to do that "shear scraping" OK on the inside. Then my "middle" flew off somewhere. I dunno though. I still like it. :cool: Think I'll finish it with the hole in the rim. Somewhere for the salad servers to rest.:D

Pseudo acacia bowl on the lathe.

TTIT
9th April 2010, 11:20 PM
...............I turned the bottoms down ready for the chuck. Loaded one up with the tail stock for support. And the foot was broken off at the first catch. "Oh! Drat!" I said.:rolleyes:
I reckon you've been spending TOO much time with the 'proper turner' - I've seen him do that sort of thing too but you're only supposed to mimic the good stuff :;:U

RETIRED
10th April 2010, 12:33 AM
:whistling2::p

Sawdust Maker
10th April 2010, 10:14 AM
good idea with the salad servers - I really hate them flopping anywhere in the bowl :D

Texian
10th April 2010, 03:15 PM
TL, the acacia will be beautiful as is with finish, and will sell faster than if it did not have the skillfully sculptured notch.

rsser
10th April 2010, 03:27 PM
Yep; a thumb notch so's the thumbnail can add a certain piquancy to the salad dressing ;-}

tea lady
10th April 2010, 05:26 PM
TL, the acacia will be beautiful as is with finish, and will sell faster than if it did not have the skillfully sculptured notch.:cool:

Yep; a thumb notch so's the thumbnail can add a certain piquancy to the salad dressing ;-}:2tsup::D :think: But how do I do it again? :rolleyes:

jefferson
11th April 2010, 08:29 AM
Tea Lady,

You must be feeling fresh enough. Cheeky, as always. :)

Now, must be teaching you a different way of turning bowls and platters that he did for me.... :?:?:?

What I do is turn the base first - then spigot, recess or glue block, it doesn't matter - then reverse then hollow. With or without tailstock support. I think that is a safer method than the one shown in your pics. That way, nothing flies out of the lathe if your mushroom stem breaks and the spur drive loses compression.....

Or am I missing something?

And I would prefer to scrape with my Ci1 when scraping a long way over the rest. That little 12mm scraper I gave you needs to be worked closer to the rest IMHO.

hughie
11th April 2010, 10:41 AM
A pouring spout how innovative :U I think you need a bowl saver.

good tute, thanks. :2tsup:

rsser
11th April 2010, 11:00 AM
One plus in leaving some mass inside while hollowing is to reduce wall flex. Partic if you want to go thin, then you go down in stages rather than getting a rough shape first off and then thinning down.

Ed Reiss
11th April 2010, 12:29 PM
One plus in leaving some mass inside while hollowing is to reduce wall flex. Partic if you want to go thin, then you go down in stages rather than getting a rough shape first off and then thinning down.

...on the other hand, it's a lot more fun to thin out the base area and then work on up to the rim :o :roll:

TL, won't take long before your a double pro threat...pottery and turning :2tsup:

rsser
11th April 2010, 01:21 PM
Ed, you like to live dangerously!

I can rarely get right back to the rim while scraping without getting spiral cuts which take forever to sand out, and the thrumming noise that signals them is the red light for me.

tea lady
11th April 2010, 01:25 PM
What I do is turn the base first - then spigot, recess or glue block, it doesn't matter - then reverse then hollow. With or without tailstock support.
Or am I missing something?
That's what I did in the first place. But when I had a catch the foot broke off. :doh: Even had tail stock support. maybe green timber is not so strong? :shrug: One advantage of this way is that when it is dry you can put it back between centers to turn the foot spigot round again to fit the chuck.:cool: Its also a cross grain bowl. Maybe end grain bowls don't loose the foot as easily. Catches didn't seem to have as catastrophic effect as when it was gripped in the chuck. :shrug:

And I would prefer to scrape with my Ci1 when scraping a long way over the rest. That little 12mm scraper I gave you needs to be worked closer to the rest IMHO.The thickness of the little scaper is quite good I reckon. Seemed to take the stress quite well. No bike clips needed.:cool: Although if I HAD a Ci1 rougher I would prolly do it with that.:rolleyes:

One plus in leaving some mass inside while hollowing is to reduce wall flex. Partic if you want to go thin, then you go down in stages rather than getting a rough shape first off and then thinning down.Yes. That worked quite well.

TL, won't take long before your a double pro threat...pottery and turning :2tsup::cool::D