PDA

View Full Version : circa 1940 surfboard timber

cranky
15th September 2004, 11:17 PM
Hi all :)

I recently inherited an old hollow ply surfboard made by my grandfather, along with the board came the templates for the internal frame work and his tools.

After showing a friend the board the other day, it was decided (after a few beers) that we should make another one.

After speaking to an "elder statesman" of surfing around here, I was told that the frame,stringers noseblock and sides of these boards were made of "Queensland maple and/or Spruce".

So, off to the local timber yard to find out what a few pieces of "clear" 15' x 4" x 7/8"of the above timber is worth, only to be told they cant supply it :(

Can someone recomend similar types of timber that are availiable in these sizes ? Ide like to keep the new board as close to original as possible.
I do , of course understand that its now sold in metric sizes, but hey, my templates are made in imperial.

ozwinner
16th September 2004, 08:33 AM
Hi all :)

So, off to the local timber yard to find out what a few pieces of "clear" 15' x 4" x 7/8"of the above timber is worth, only to be told they cant supply it :(

Hi
I think any clear timber of that size is going to be hard to get, you could always laminate shorter pieces together.

Al :)

Zed
16th September 2004, 08:44 AM
I think it was not this edition but the previous Australian Wood review had an article aboiut a surfboard maker who used balsa imported from panama, you could look him up and buy some off him ???

cranky
16th September 2004, 05:12 PM
Had the pleasure of talking to a bloke who used to make these boards in the 50's today, he suggested meranti.

Robert WA
16th September 2004, 07:50 PM
I am with Cranky.
In SA, back in the 50s, I was involved in the building of a few small sailing boats, particularly Rainbow class skiffs. The same principals of construction apply. We used meranti for the frames.

lucky_rick
17th September 2004, 11:27 AM
Guys

Hope you do not mind me asking but what is "clear" timber.

Regards
Rick

cranky
17th September 2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks Robert for confirmation :) Im buying the timber for the framework tomorrow :)

Clear timber, is umm, ........ " best grade " no knots etc
I think timber is graded another way these days with "S" grades but Im not sure.

lucky_rick
17th September 2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks cranky - learn something new everyday!!

Regards
Rick

crakka54
29th September 2004, 08:25 AM
Hi Cranky
I too am beginning to build one of these beasts. I got some plans from Hartley boats. Any chance of a photo of your board being posted?

cranky
2nd October 2004, 05:00 PM
Hi Crakka,
NP Im nearly finished cutting out the framing.
Im going to take pics as I go along, but I figured pics of flat pieces of wood would be rather boring :)
So come back in a week or so's time. I think that this is not the right sub- forum to post the pics in. :)
So I'll PM you where I end up posting them.

You live in Newcastle N.S.W. also ????? small world :)
I live in Mayfield West. You might be able to get a closer look at the board if you want , when its done. I had a look at Hartley boat web site and I think your board may be a little different to mine although made in the same style .
Here is a pic of what Im going to end up with .....
http://www.surfresearch.com.au/bp1945adler_hollow_maroubra.jpg

I of course am better looking than the model in the photo hehehe

ribot
16th January 2006, 05:03 PM
cranky that "S" grade more that likely stands for "select grade" , at least it does in Vic.:)

Boatmik
22nd January 2006, 08:49 AM
I think it was not this edition but the previous Australian Wood review had an article aboiut a surfboard maker who used balsa imported from panama, you could look him up and buy some off him ???

There is/was a company called "Australian Balsa" that was run by a Grant Coombes that was growing balsa in New Guinea and selling it in Australia. Balsa was used for the early fibreglassed boards

The other main timber for boards of that era was Western Red Cedar - which is amongst the lightest "regular" timbers and would not need fibreglassing (there was no fibreglass until the late '50s).

Michael Storer

Robert WA
22nd January 2006, 12:33 PM
Western red is a good choice, I would have thought, but getting really good quality stuff can be difficult. Don't use the cheap, construction grade stuff.

How about Oregon as an alternative, particularly some salvaged stuff?