PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion...?

CE-1
15th September 2004, 11:53 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking to buy a new lathe (I'm beginer) and it will be great if you give me your opinion about the following units:

1. GMS - $99
2. MC900 - $379
3. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=632&item=4323285633&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=632&item=4323285633&rd=1) - $295

Thanks

DanP
16th September 2004, 12:19 AM
Go the MC900, In my opinion, an excellent entry level lathe and great value for money. I bought the GMC, used it for three scary months and it now sits on the bottom shelf in the shed, waiting to be turned into a disc sander. I then bought the 900 and haven't looked back. You should be able to get it for cheaper than that. I paid $320 at carbatec. Check the various Carbatec sites and compare. Melbourne dropped the price to match Sydney and Brisbane for me.

Dan

DarrylF
16th September 2004, 07:11 AM
MC900 hands down out of those 3. I've had mine 18 months. I got the Total Tools version, but the Carbatec version looks to have a better motor.

Ruffy
16th September 2004, 09:01 AM
I have just moved from the GMC to the MC900 and the difference is incredible. Also have a look at this thread.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=10530

Darrell
16th September 2004, 09:30 PM
I agree with the posts above the MC900 is a very good first lathe
These lathes are also for sale on e-bay for $460 + post $?
Go to Carbatec or any other woodturning store in Brisbane and you
will pay alot less than $460 plus.They may throw in a set of tools
as well for the price. Shop around for the best price

Darrell

Babytoolman
16th September 2004, 10:27 PM
Go the MC 900 out of the 3 you mentioned. Try Carbatech they may have the deal that includes a chuck and a set of tools. You need to barter with them hard you will get them to move.

smidsy
16th September 2004, 11:28 PM
I have had the MC900 for about 4 months now and it is well worth the money.
As others have said, Carbatec were doing a deal for a chuck and chisel set as well so try and get that deal, but even stand alone the MC900 is the best entry level lathe there is.

Instead just saying that the MC is better I will try and give you some specifics:
The GMC has a steel tube bed which is very prone to flexing where as the MC900 has a rock solid cast iron bed.
The GMC has no stand so you need to buy or build a stand for it, where as the MC comes with a basic but more than adequate pressed steel stand.
The MC has a bigger and better quality motor.
The MC has a #2 morse taper for the head and tail stock whereas the GMC doesn't have morse tapers so the accessories are more expensive.
The MC has a rotating head so you can hang larger peices off the side of the lathe to turn.
The general construction of the MC is way more solid than the GMC - look at the tool rest and end stock on the GMC then look at them on the MC.

There's a gmc lathe down at my turning club and it's that bad no one will use it - people would rather not turn than use the gmc.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Paul