PDA

View Full Version : Beginner - suggestions for starting

Lyle
13th April 2010, 01:09 PM
I have a friends wife coming over on the weekend to try out my woodlathe.
I am asking for suggestions on a 'thingy' for her to turn up.
Something simple but useful? Rolling pin, shallow bowl......
Simple finish. I have shellac, wipe on poly , waxes etc.
Can you suggest something???

help!

Texian
13th April 2010, 01:52 PM
Good luck.

rsser
13th April 2010, 03:24 PM
Yes. What Richard said!

If you're guiding her through it then maybe a honey dipper, a rolling pin might work (you may have to true it up afterwards) or a spatula.

Obviously a lot will depend on her facility with the turning tools.

Lyle
13th April 2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks.
I'll take her through some general stuff first and hopefully will end up with a simple job to complete.
I have a few PEN-1 kits, would that be too difficult for a first job. It would be good to take home something you'd made yourself.....
(I have sufficient safety gear for her to use). In case of the potential dig-ins etc.

mick61
13th April 2010, 06:02 PM
G`day
I would suggest a bit of a play with a two or three lengths of pine say 50x200mm Using roughing gouge then skew then spindle gouge and let her get a feel for cutting the wood then maybe try a honey dipper. If you are going to do do a pen you will still have to give her a bit of practice with a skew but I do agree that she should take something home.
Mick:D

tea lady
13th April 2010, 07:32 PM
You could prolly just turn a fancy stick.:D

Or maybe one of those rolly things that you give your feet a massage with. :shrug: :cool:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:O7CPrxWdpNwEXM:http://www.homefitnessequipment.org/ProductImages/fitter2/FTRLR.jpg http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:y6GC5MCGhpYOVM:http://skincareproductsuk.co.uk/images/foot_massager.jpg http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:YrsVAaJQpiVyzM:http://z.about.com/d/walking/1/0/8/X/2/footsie-pg.jpg

mkypenturner
13th April 2010, 08:39 PM
the feet masagers are a good idea or if she has any young kids why not a spinning top or 2

troy

Calm
13th April 2010, 09:21 PM
One should never assume but

Assuming that she has not turned before - show her the skew and tell her that is what you use after you have done 50 hours with the roughing gouge.

I think the rolling pin is a good idea - with a subtle hint it could roll out some scone dough as payment - nothing like scones , jam & cream.:D:D

A simple bowl, not very big, is also a good idea - keep it simple with a good flow - something to sit on the coffee table to put the remote controls in and show off her skills.

The main thing is to hope she enjoys it - we have room for just one more sucker being addicted to this great pastime.

Cheers

Grumpy John
14th April 2010, 11:03 AM
When I first joined Peninsula Woodturners I had never used a wood lathe. The first exercises they had me doing was roughing out 50mm square blanks about 250 long (crappy resawn pallet material). Then they had me doing beads and coves. This went on for my first two sessions, then they let me make something......... an egg :((.

I was a little bit annoyed that all I was allowed to make after ~5 hours was an egg, but the point of the exercise was tool control, and yes, they had me using a skew in that first 5 hours:2tsup:.
If your friend has never turned before I think a rolling pin would be a good exercise.

issatree
14th April 2010, 11:23 AM
Hi All,
In my experience, Ladies make very good Turners.
So don't be surprised if this Lady shows promise right from the start.
Was teaching a Lady many moons ago.
Showed her the Roughing Gouge," which hand do you use ".
Started off on RH, got to the end of the wood.
Changed hands & went back the other way & was very very competent in doing so.
Blew me right away.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Ed Reiss
14th April 2010, 12:19 PM
When I was holding classes in the 90's, the syllabus was straightforward.

day 1 - sharpening
day 2- roughing a cylinder
day 3 beads and coves

The next level was to make a simple bowl

day 1 blank selection
day 2 mounting options
day 3 turn a simple salad bowl

With beginners things have got to be kept fairly simple.:D

Gil Jones
14th April 2010, 12:39 PM
Watch this video YouTube - Turning Wooden Flowers on a lathe and you should be able to teach the lady to create lovely flowers.
She can learn the skew long before someone tells her they are difficult to use (which they are not).
Luck,
Gil

Lyle
14th April 2010, 01:29 PM
I think I'll try her with some spindle work on some pine or such. Then if time is available, a key-ring kit and possibly a small bowl.
I only want to let her have a go so to speak, not lessons etc.

mick61
15th April 2010, 08:59 AM
G`day hope it goes well.
Dont forget the safety gear.
Skew first lesson, its just another tool to master,if you use a spindle gouge incorrectly you get in just as much trouble.( no master of skew) is the best I have seen with skew.

P.S I am helping someone at the moment she has used Roughing gouge Skew and Spindle gouge. By the end of two hours she was showing some control of chisels maybe a small bowl would be an option today.

Manuka Jock
15th April 2010, 09:23 AM
A spurtle is a relatively easy starting piece for spindle turning .
It's also a very useful kitchen utensil .

Manuka Jock
15th April 2010, 09:30 AM
When I first joined Peninsula Woodturners I had never used a wood lathe. The first exercises they had me doing was roughing out 50mm square blanks about 250 long (crappy resawn pallet material). Then they had me doing beads and coves. This went on for my first two sessions, then they let me make something......... an egg :((.

I was a little bit annoyed that all I was allowed to make after ~5 hours was an egg, but the point of the exercise was tool control, and yes, they had me using a skew in that first 5 hours:2tsup:.
If your friend has never turned before I think a rolling pin would be a good exercise.

Woodcarvers tell me that if you can put a block of wood into the vice , and take a wooden egg out , you are well on the way to being a skilled carver .
I've not tried it myself , either in the vice , or on the lathe .
Maybe one day eh :)

RETIRED
15th April 2010, 01:45 PM
G`day hope it goes well.
Dont forget the safety gear.
Skew first lesson, its just another tool to master,if you use a spindle gouge incorrectly you get in just as much trouble.( no master of skew) is the best I have seen with skew.

P.S I am helping someone at the moment she has used Roughing gouge Skew and Spindle gouge. By the end of two hours she was showing some control of chisels maybe a small bowl would be an option today.:-

rsser
15th April 2010, 07:25 PM
And can teach it too.

Sawdust Maker
15th April 2010, 10:22 PM
the keyring idea isn't too bad
have a couple ready glued up - you could even get to finishing stage with a roughing gouge - or a skew

but I wonder if a lot of people have a bowl in mind when they think turning

RETIRED
15th April 2010, 10:30 PM
have a couple ready glued up - you could even get to finishing stage with a roughing gouge - or a skew

Unfortunately, yes.

GoGuppy
15th April 2010, 11:29 PM
A spurtle is a relatively easy starting piece for spindle turning . It's also a very useful kitchen utensil .

Yep, especially with winter coming on...mmm..good for making your morning porridge (with honey):D:D
Cheers

Reece
16th April 2010, 03:02 PM

that's what i had in mind when i started. it didn't take long for me to go back to basic spindle turning though

Broda
17th April 2010, 01:58 PM
what about a garden dibble?
Turning A "Dibble" - NewWoodworker.com LLC (http://www.newwoodworker.com/turning/trndbl.html)

Lyle
19th April 2010, 11:19 AM
THANKS ALL FOR YOUR GREAT SUGGESTIONS.
We had a fun time. The lady and her husband tried out my lathe for a few hours. After explaining the lathe and its features and the safety aspects, kitted them up with faceshields etc, we got going.
I gave them some pine to spindle turn and they tried out all of my turning chisels. I explained the tool first then showed them how it worked by positioning the tool on the rest and against the wood with the lathe off to show them the cutting angles. Then with the lathe on to show them the tool motion through the cut.
Then gave them each a turn.
They had a great time. Eventually we ended up with a simple key-ring turned out of Conkerberry, finished with wipe on poly. Didn't have time to do any faceplate work or bowl turning, maybe next time.

Overall a good arvo's fun.

I believe we now have a couple of converts to turning. :2tsup: