PDA

View Full Version : chisel questions, please help.

jow104
14th April 2010, 05:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2010_0414chisels0002w.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2010_0414chisels0003w.jpg

I have two full sets of turning chisels that came into my possession a short while ago, the first picture above are Henry Taylor chisels and the second picture are a cheap brand of chisels.

The cheap brand cuts better.

The cheaper brand has a more swept back profile and the shavings come of an item being turned.

The Taylor brand has less sweep back and only produces sawdust.

What are the Taylor brand chisel designed for, and what of the other brand?

RETIRED
14th April 2010, 06:01 PM
The Taylor brand has less sweep back and only produces sawdust.

What are the Taylor brand chisel designed for, and what of the other brand? The HT's are carbon steel (very good carbon steel) and the others are probably a chinese set of High speed steel.

The HT are probably ground to a traditional (real) turners spindle profile without the swept back wings. Sharpen them properly and learn how to use them and it is as close to heaven as you can get.:wink:

The chinese tools look to be bowl turning chisels.

Ozkaban
14th April 2010, 06:38 PM
Not that I can really add anything to what has said... I agree with him on all counts. I have an old set of CS Sorbys and when sharpened they are very nice to turn with. Not so durable on hardwood though.

Give the HT's a good sharpen and see where they get you :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

jow104
14th April 2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks above, I have got a Tormek T7, is there a jig that sharpens both chisels?

rsser
14th April 2010, 07:39 PM
T gouge jig. SVD185

For straight across grind of a roughing gouge (plus skew grinding) and maybe the forged spindle gouge, the SVS50, but really you can do those freehand on the T platform or a half decent platform in front of a bench grinder.

jow104
14th April 2010, 11:43 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that I have also got three HT bead forming tools, I bet they take some sharpening.