PDA

View Full Version : Lathe loan for 10 min job

Geo2001
15th April 2010, 03:31 PM
Hi guys,

New to the forum so hello to all.

I'm need the use of a metal working lathe for 10 mins to ream out some African Blackwood pieces to 21/64 and 47/64 respectively. I have the reamers but unfortunately not the lathe!

Rather than go buy one for such small use I was wondering if anyone could volunteer theirs for the job?

I'm located in Croydon Vic but am willing to drive to have the use of one.

Thanks in advance

George

Dave J
15th April 2010, 03:49 PM
I would volunteer mine, but it would be a bit of a drive to Newcastle NSW.
Someone closer might speak up.
Dave

Big Shed
15th April 2010, 04:56 PM
Why a metal lathe? Wouldn't it work equally well on a wood lathe? You don't say what the diameter and/or length is?

A lot of metal workers wouldn't be too happy to have wood machined on their metal lathe.

Avery
15th April 2010, 05:00 PM
Why not try a mens shed.

Here is a list of Victorian sheds

Australian Mens Shed Association - Victoria Shed List (http://www.mensshed.org/page9400/Victoria-Shed-List.aspx)

Geo2001
15th April 2010, 05:14 PM
Basically I need a lathe with a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. I intend on having the reamer in the chuck and reaming the piece whilst I hold it with the machine running low revs.

The reamer will be used only to go in 3" and 3 1/2" respectively.

Why would wood be an issue over metal???? Less load used for a start..

Geo2001
15th April 2010, 05:16 PM
The reamer sizes are in the first post. I guess the metal people with an issue with wood really need to take off the anoraks and get a life then.

snowyskiesau
15th April 2010, 05:19 PM
The reamer sizes are in the first post. I guess the metal people with an issue with wood really need to take off the anoraks and get a life then.

Wood is abrasive and will hold moisture promoting rust, not a good idea on a metal lathe.

Geo2001
15th April 2010, 05:21 PM
Under prolonged use possibly but doubtful. And only if proper cleaning and maintenance isn't performed. The amount of wood removed in this instance is minimal. Air holds moisture. Not a good idea breathing over a metal lathe. It promotes rust

Incidently before moving house I had a Colchester Student which I used for over 10 years boring and turning African Blackwood with no ill effects. "Metal" lathes as someone put it are built for hard materials, not necessarily metal.

pipeclay
15th April 2010, 05:31 PM
Is it possable to do what you want in a drill press,I am assuming that they are M/T reamers.

You might be better off putting a search out for members with a metal lathe that has a wood turning bracket as an extra,they would probably not rust or get abraised,even better go to the hercus forum and get someone there to do it,a fair few seem to have machines that need to be restored so a small amount of would wood not be a issue,might even soak up some of the excess oil they spread around.

DavidG
15th April 2010, 05:32 PM
I have wood and metal lathes but Canberra might be a bit far.
If you come up this way, you are welcome to use either lathe.

The wood lathe is variable speed down to 10 rpm.

Dave J
15th April 2010, 05:34 PM

Not really something you should be replying when your asking for a loan of somebody's lathe.:? It is going to be hard enough to find someone that will stand back and let you use their lathe.
I have way covers so it's not a problem, but a lot of people wont put wood in a metal lathe even for themselves. It's there lathe that they have paid good money for, so they have the right to choose either way.

Dave

wheelinround
15th April 2010, 06:06 PM
Why not just use a brace and bit or electric drill :?
You holding the wood isn't going to be exact is it so accuracy isn't a problem.

nine fingers
15th April 2010, 06:08 PM
Geo2001, I have a metal lathe I use for turning bushes ,arbors etc for wooden geared clocks. Only trouble is I'm in Geelong.
Pm me with your phone number if interested. regards John.

Big Shed
15th April 2010, 06:10 PM

As said above, doesn't seem the right way to win friends and influence people, you have made quite an entrance on the forum, well done:2tsup:

They may have anoraks, but they also have a lathe and you don't:rolleyes:

I have both a metal and a wood lathe and I machine wood on my metal lathe ( I don't wear an anorak:doh:)

But Bendigo may be a bit far for you to travel.

Oh BTW, I wasn't asking for the sizes of the reamers (I did actually read your post) but I was asking for the size of your work pieces.

BenM78
15th April 2010, 06:40 PM
I did a factory tour of a oooooolld Australian windmill company. Their bearings are all hardwood which is machined on a metal turning lathe, before being oil soaked. The lathe had been doing it a long time and still looked pretty good, and held enough tolerance to machine a hardwood bearing... I wouldn't think it a major problem to machine wood on a metal lathe providing you are carefull with cleanliness - there are far far nastier things that happen to lathes - eg brass, blowing off with air tools etc

.RC.
15th April 2010, 07:11 PM
I did a factory tour of a oooooolld Australian windmill company.

That would have to be Comet, we have quite a few of their mills operating... They are the only ones to use wood bearings....They last for a long long long time...